Resonance problem!

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hello!

Having tinkered with my setup for a few months I have almost got it sounding just the way I want - apart from one or two bass frequencies that seem to get the whole room vibrating! I noticed it when I swapped from a Cambridge audio amp to a NAD C352 amp (which is bassier anyway but much much nicer to listen to). Bass is mostly superb until these evil frequencies appear and i can feel the floor and the coffee table etc vibrating and these frequencies drowning everything else out! - my speakers are not too near a wall / corner. I was wondering if it was something to do with the speaker/stand/floor interaction and if there was anything I could do to reduce the vibrations reaching the floor? The stands are relatively cheap ones from richer sounds but they do have spikes. The floor is carpeted but the floorboards below it are a bit uneven and the stands don't seem amazingly solid/secure.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
emotion-2.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
if you have a rectangular room, you could try a room resonance calculator and you may be able to find suggested speaker positions. i don't have any links but google should get you heading in the right direction. my own room suffers from resonance but i have found that putting the speakers at least 4 feet from a corner/bay window and toeing in until they're almost firing straight at me has (touch wood) cured it. try stuffing things in the corners of your room, i have bean bags, cushions and bookcases in mine. i almost gave up with mine so keep going. good luck.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]

Yep its called Room resonance mode. Everyone has one so dont feel left out. Most practical solution is to lower your ceiling ...

[/quote]

ha ha ha
emotion-2.gif
he's right though, it's to do with your room dimensions.

TRENDING THREADS