Replacing my speakers

cats_five

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
I can't find a specific speaker forum and peope seem to be posting about them here so...

I probably need to replace my speakers, a pair of Mission 780SEs, as sadly one got knocked off it's stand and it turns out the magnet at the back of the bass speaker has parted company with it. I say probably as I'm not optimistic that Mission can supply a replacement speaker, but I have an enquiry with them.

I am on a budget. so looking sub-£200 and classical music is mostly what I listen to. The amp is an Arcam A65.

Am looking at the various offerings in my price band from Q Acoustics (2020i, 3010, 3020), Wharfedale Diamond 220. Any views on which is most suited to classical music? They will go on the Mission stands.

matthewpiano

If you particularly loved the 780SEs, it could be worth looking out for a nice pair on Ebay. I very much doubt Mission will be able to supply a replacement drive unit now, particularly as the company has been under different ownership (IAG) for quite some time now. It's possibly worth consulting Wilmslow Audio, who are very good at suggesting replacement drive units, but you may find you would need to replace the bass/mid unit in both speakers for a good match.

Otherwise, I'd strongly recommend the Wharfedale Diamond 220s, particularly for any acoustic music, including classical. I was listening to the Trevor Pinnock recording of the Mozart Coronation Mass on mine last night and it sounded wonderful. Likewise Murray Perahia's superb recording of the Bach English Suites. The 220s will pair very nicely with the A65, but will need to be closer to the rear wall than you probably had your Missions. I also own a pair of Dynaudios, which have some superb qualities, but I find the Wharfedales a more engaging all-round listen.

Also worth a look, and effectively from the same stable now (both brands are owned by IAG and made in the same factory), are Mission's latest LX series. I haven't heard these yet, but the LX2s got a very positive review in WHF, and sound an interesting affordable speaker.

The Q Acoustics are good, particularly the 3010 and 3020, but I don't find them as natural sounding or as engaging as the Wharfedales, and that is incredibly important with classical music, or any acoustic music.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm a big fan of the Acoustic Energy AE109. They are compact floor standers with terrific midrange and upper bass, a very tight and musical sound. Great fun too. Obviously only on the used market now but you can find great examples for around £100.

cats_five

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion about Wilmslow Audio, I supect replacing both bass units will be cheaper than a new pair of speakers. I'm a bit nervous about buying on Ebay especially after seeing the damage being knocked of the stand did!

Did I like them especially? Sort of. When I brought them I listened to several comparable speakers in a shop, at the same time as I brought the A65 and an Arcam CD player. But it doesn't have to be the same, and I've been without hifi for months so I doubt it would be a big issue!

Anything recorded by Murray Perhia is almost certainly a great recording, my taste leans to smaller pieces - sonatas, chamber music, Mozart, rather than Bruckner & Mahler. I do have a soft spot for Tchaikovsky & Rachmainov though, and some Verdi...

Sources could be the CD player, the Logitech streamer or (even!) the TV - I listen to a lot of Radio 3.

Suspect I will be more than happy with the Diamonds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts