RegaRP6 vs Clearaudio Concept vs VPI Scout

I saw this post on the general forum, and must say these don't seem like natural competitors. In the UK the Scout is by some way he dearest.

I suspect at home in the US they all cost around the same.

I have heard each, but never in remotely comparable situations. But given a choice I'd have the VPI for the engineering, tweakability and family history.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I dont think you will be dissapointed by any of the decks mentioned!

I guess a demo on all 3 will be quite diffucult!

The Rega being the cheaoest at £749 without cart......I am happy with mine but if I could turn back the clock I would of gone a but further and got a Gyrodec.

If the VPI has upgrade potential then go for it?

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
If I have a bit of luck, tomorrow I will listen to all of them. The setups will not be the same, but I hope it will be enough for me to make an idea.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I dont think you will be dissapointed by any of the decks mentioned!

I guess a demo on all 3 will be quite diffucult!

The Rega being the cheaoest at £749 without cart......I am happy with mine but if I could turn back the clock I would of gone a but further and got a Gyrodec.

If the VPI has upgrade potential then go for it?

Yes, the gyro would seem a more perceived value product. ..........:)

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
I wonder if the OP might let us know his findings and which he went with, if any.

As for perceived value then the VPI has it in spades especially if the latest Scout 1.1 is anything to go by.

Just had a look at VPI scout on tinternet, I see what you mean.

Very classy.......8)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
I wonder if the OP might let us know his findings and which he went with, if any.

As for perceived value then the VPI has it in spades especially if the latest Scout 1.1 is anything to go by.

Just had a look at VPI scout on tinternet, I see what you mean.

Very classy.......8)

Agree!

Looks very very nice!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I owned the Clearaudio Concept for about 5 mins, and lookswise, it wasn't that stunning.

The RP6 looks just like the other Regas, so based on looks only, I'd go for the VPI Scout too.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I owned the Clearaudio Concept for about 5 mins, and lookswise, it wasn't that stunning.

The RP6 looks just like the other Regas, so based on looks only, I'd go for the VPI Scout too.

I agrre but the VPI is twice as much as the Rega!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
At around this ball park figure, I've always quite fancied one of these bad boys..

dac68d9ed0.jpg

The Pro-Ject 6 Perspex.

Gets plenty of good write ups.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I drove like 500km to see the 3 of them. At the first dealer (Clearaudio and Rega) I first took a look at Concept: the sticker on the face plate (which read Concept) was askew. I have a thing for details... :oops: So the first impression being not so positive we listened the Clearaudio / Concept MC / some Plinius / Kef LS50. Nice, detailed, punchy and ...askew. We had a talk about discounts, took a look at Rega RP6 and left for the second dealer (VPI). It was a demo VPI Scout 1.1 / Benz Micro Ace SL. The price was lower than the Concept's. The looks was so much better. The sound was incredible (Simaudio Moon / Arcam A19 - he knew I had an A19 / Focal Chorus 714 - he knew I had a pair of those). We had a talk and he dropped the price even lower so I took it home.

At the end of the day I realised that buying hifi is about music, gear, money, details :grin:

Now The Beatles are in the house.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Mmmmmm......nicer. 8)

19535.jpg

Had one of those once, although without Nema arm, and did't think it was anything to write home about really. They do look great however which brings up another matter.

When are manufacturers of these lovely looking acrylic turntables going to make a dust cover to go with them? These things are dust-magnets and a pain to clean. Surely it is not beyond them to produce a reasonably priced cover for them......rant....rant!

Tzutzu said:
Hi there,

I drove like 500km to see the 3 of them. At the first dealer (Clearaudio and Rega) I first took a look at Concept: the sticker on the face plate (which read Concept) was askew. I have a thing for details... :oops: So the first impression being not so positive we listened the Clearaudio / Concept MC / some Plinius / Kef LS50. Nice, detailed, punchy and ...askew. We had a talk about discounts, took a look at Rega RP6 and left for the second dealer (VPI). It was a demo VPI Scout 1.1 / Benz Micro Ace SL. The price was lower than the Concept's. The looks was so much better. The sound was incredible (Simaudio Moon / Arcam A19 - he knew I had an A19 / Focal Chorus 714 - he knew I had a pair of those). We had a talk and he dropped the price even lower so I took it home.

At the end of the day I realised that buying hifi is about music, gear, money, details :grin:

Now The Beatles are in the house.

Thanks for getting back here with the outcome. A bargain! Not sure how you managed to get that for less than the Concept but well done. That cartridge is brilliant and obviously suits the JMW arm well. I know what you mean about askew. Not something you want on a turntable.

PS: If the Beatles were in my house there would be one hell of a stink. :)

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I didn't do anything inappropriate to lower the price
smiley-innocent.gif

The VPI was a demo, my A19 and the Focals were from the same dealer and he is a very open-minded and business-oriented young fellow.

He thrown me a hook by giving me the Moon phono stage, "just to see how well it goes with the Benz Micro cart". He was 100% right, but if I buy the Moon too (also an exdemo) I will have an 600 amp and a 1000 phono stage. Is it resonable?

Tzutzu said:
smiley-innocent.gif

The VPI was a demo, my A19 and the Focals were from the same dealer and he is a very open-minded and business-oriented young fellow.

He thrown me a hook by giving me the Moon phono stage, "just to see how well it goes with the Benz Micro cart". He was 100% right, but if I buy the Moon too (also an exdemo) I will have an 600 amp and a 1000 phono stage. Is it resonable?

Its not entirely unreasonable :)

A phono preamp of this quality will always allow for any future cartridge upgrades you might plan. That is a very nice 'front end', always pays to get a quality source sorted first.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Tzutzu said:
smiley-innocent.gif

I bet that Scout/Benz cart is superb

Enjoy it!I

did you demo the RP6? if so what cart was installed? How did it compare to the VPI?

I am pondering over a Gyrodec, but the VPI has aroused some interest

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Tzutzu said:
smiley-innocent.gif

A phono preamp of this quality will always allow for any future cartridge upgrades you might plan. That is a very nice 'front end', always pays to get a quality source sorted first.

Al ears

I agree totally I bet that set up with phono/cart/deck sounds really good!

Would you say its a warm presenttion or more in-yer-face

Had to change my 10x5 to a Nagaoka with the my Elicit's phono, with the Nagaoka its just right.

However I am pondering over investing a bit more in a nice dek (gyro) but as I said above the VPI has caught my eye

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Al ears said:
Tzutzu said:
smiley-innocent.gif

Al ears

I agree totally I bet that set up with phono/cart/deck sounds really good!

Would you say its a warm presenttion or more in-yer-face

Had to change my 10x5 to a Nagaoka with the my Elicit's phono, with the Nagaoka its just right.

However I am pondering over investing a bit more in a nice dek (gyro) but as I said above the VPI has caught my eye
That looks like being a tough call.

Sound will be the major factor.

Both stunners, ..............:cheer:

Both stunners indeed and, if you stick the Technoarm A on a Gyrodec SE, about the same price (in the UK that is).

Auditioning would be the key - not too sure where you could hear them both in the same place though.

To my mind the JWM arm would swing it for me although size might be a issue for some. Oo er missus... :)

TRENDING THREADS