Rega + Tannoy setup?

symoneous1

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

As a total n00b I have been scouring the forums for all kinds of details, but would still appreciate some words of wisdom on the following stereo setup. As background, I am looking at slowly substituting my vintage system (including Pioneer SA 8100) to something more up to date. However price is an issue and rather than getting everything in one go, I will have to buy one unit at a time over the next year or so.

Use: I generally listen to vinyl 2-4 hours per day. Mp3/Flac 2 hours a day. CD's 1 hour per day.

Here's what I have / am thinking:

Sources

Current: MP3 / Flac: Mac Mini 2011 (dedicated to music, no screen and operated via itunes remote).

Current: Phono: Technics MK2 1210/1200

Current: CD: Technics SL PG420A

Current: Tuner: Technics ST GT350

Amp

Currently: Pioneer SA 8100

Upgrade: Rega Brio R

Sound

Current: Bose Acoustimass 5 (don't laugh)

Upgrade:Tannoy DC6T

Questions

What upgrades would you recommend?

What do you think of the Rega, Tannoy combo? It seems to get good reviews and sounds nice! Are there any alternative amp speaker pairings you could recommend?

Should I get the Rega DAC / or another for that matter?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I am biased yes, but the Brio R would be a superb upgrade - it even has brilliant phono stage in it to supplement your TT which IMHO is still a very credible turntable!

For the money the Brio R is probably THE best amp under £500 on the market with a phono stage!

As for DACs, you only have to look at other forum members that have the Brio R and Rega DAC as it works so well together!

Tannoy speakers will be fine with the Brio R but there are others that you may prefer!

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the Rega Brio R but useit with Monitor Audio RX6 speakers.
Did not like the Tannoys sound I'd available finishes.

symoneous1

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys, that's helpful. I will take a look at the Monitor Audio RX6 speakers. Sound interesting!

And will check the DAC thread in the forum as well.

symoneous1

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
One more question guys:

As mentioned above I would like to use the Mac mini for FLAC/MP3 playback. However, given Apple's disinterest in FLAC I am struggling to find a combination of player for the Mac, that I can remote control via my android phone. Alternatively I have to convert my entire library to ALAC. Highly reccomended players such as Decibel, don't seem to be remote controlable.

symoneous1

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
One more question guys:

As mentioned above I would like to use the Mac mini for FLAC/MP3 playback. However, given Apple's disinterest in FLAC I am struggling to find a combination of player for the Mac, that I can remote control via my android phone. Alternatively I have to convert my entire library to ALAC. Highly reccomended players such as Decibel, don't seem to be remote controlable.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I seriously would stick with FLAC. ALAC is Apple specific, and you always end up converting. There are many options for playing FLAC and be able to remote control the stuff from your Android. Take VLC for example. While originally a video player it plays (HD) FLAC's fine and is remote controllable.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The Rega Brio R is not a bad amp. not very powerful, so watch what speakers you buy, I thought it struggled with speakers like the B&W CM1s, IMHO there are better amps which cost a bit more like the Arcam A19 and Creek A, both I believe have good phono stage.

I have not heard the Tannoys, are you sure you want and have space for floorstanders?

Whatever you do you must demo them, don't just go on reviews and opinions, preferably at home as rooms make a big difference, not just the size..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts