Rega Saturn vs Naim CD5i

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Awaiting reports back from member 'True Blue' on his new (black) Rega Saturn. He recently bought one after Rega cut the price from £1270 to £898.

I have compared the Rega Apollo and the CD5i (see my sig to see which way I went).

The Rega Apollo is a fabulous CD player so I am sure the Saturn will be too.

I preferred the way my Nait 5i worked with the CD5i but that was compared to an Apollo. (And I got a good ex-dem deal on the Naim pair saving me £166 which swung things a bit
emotion-1.gif
)

Things may have been different had the Rega CDPs been price-cut when I was shopping back in April.

Hopefully 'True Blue' will tell us how the Saturn has 'settled in' with his Nait XS.

A

Anonymous

Its to go with a Simaudio I3RS amp...I heard the CD5i and it sounded great on the system, but unable to demo the Saturn at home...but with the price drop quite appealing.

I like the speed of the CD5i, well all I compared it to was a MF A5 and it had faster bass

Or I can stretch up to the new CD5xs...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ooh, a CD5XS ?

Well that would throw a very big cat into the pigeons. I have heard the Nait XS with CD5X and it was incredible. Could not afford either unfortunately.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi, as stated I also listened to the Naim CD5i and Rega Appolo during my auditions as was mightily impressed by oth paired with the Naim Nait 5i however the CD5i won due to the synergy between the two units. I saw a rega saturn on the shelf (no CD5x) andjokingly asked what the difference in price couldpossibly justify. Firstly I picked up a very substantial and well built unit, which was probably the combinedweight of the other two players. I asked to listen and really wished I had not, thisplayer set the bar that was just out of reach financially.

After getting the rest of my equipment I found out to my delight that Rega had lowered the price of the saturn to £898 only £3 more than the CD5i!!! This made my decision an absolute no brainer as the player is in the next echelon of performance.

My player still has not run in yet but initial impressions so far are:-

Vocals are absolutely unbelievable, realistic, full of emotion, it doesnt sound like you are listening to a CD. The player can take the worst recordings and make them sound fantastic, so you can imagine how good quality recordnigs sound. Percussion and guitars are also amazing.

The bass weight in my system has improved as has the seperation. The bass is weighty but controlled, the mids are fluid and the high end not tiresome or bright in the slightest.

Too early yet to really tell the subtleties and imaging properties as all my equipment is relatively green and not run in yet.

However I was willing to pay (evetually) the £1271 for this player so to be able to purchase one now for £898 is an absolute steal.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Forgot to add, I have never listened to as many CD's than I have this last week. I have fallen back in love with the music again as opposed to listening to my system. The Saturn has allowed me to do that.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I heard an Apollo with Naim amp and AVI Neutron IV and then Epos m12. Whilst very pleasant the system was nothing special. Good certainly.

A

Anonymous

What about the timing of the Rega Saturn against the timing of the CD5i (new model)...anyone know which is faster and gets it right?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Have just been online and looked at Audio T they have ex dem Saturns for £760.

On the timing front its very difficult to tell, the Saturn just "feels" right difficult to explain, but you soon feel your foot tapping etc etc, since buying the CDP my wife has started dancing in the kitchen. So what does that tell you (apart from we have a lot of dinner on our kitchen floor!!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts