Rega R3 vs Wharfedale Evo 30

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey there, i've a Rega Apollo and Mira, playing on a set of Wharfedale Evo 30 speakers.

I can get a good deal on a set of Rega R3 speakers, these are a bid rare in Holland.

Are these R3's a good upgrade from the Evo's or give a better match with the rest of the Rega set.

My room is 4x5m and 2,5m high.

Thanx again.

A

Anonymous

I doubt they would be a significant upgrade over the Evo 30's as they are pretty well regarded. Maybe better to go for something higher up the scale like the R5's if you can get them for a good price as well.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I had the Wharfedale EVO 30's for years since they came out, i just sold them a few weeks ago. Since i had my new amp i was on a quest to find out if i would prefer other speakers over my Wharfedale's without stretching my budget to much. A lot of speakers passed on auditioning and i prefered Dynaudio and Spendor over my Wharfedale's, not much else. I decided i might still do better going the 2nd route. i listened to Jean Marie Renaud Emeraude and it was a big step up over my Wharfedale's, they sounded precise, monitor like, but on my amp they had a bit to much emphasis towords the mid/highs, and therefor didn't have that nice midrange sound i remembered from the Dynaudio that worked well on my amp. I eventually went for Hyperion 938 speakers, far out of my budget but i got a good deal for demo models. I guess you really want floorstanding speakers?

On a budget i could certainly also recommend to audition Heco speakers, they are very dynamic and lively, very good with live material, to my ears they sounded much better then some speakers costing up to 4 times the price, still they are the opposite to the more laid back easy on the ears Dynaudio's and Spendors. If i was going to decide that day between Dynaudio and Heco it would have been very difficult for me to make a choice. i would also recommend you to audition Sonus Faber, i went to an Audio show last weekend and those littel Sonus Faber speakers sounded very nice on that tube amp and that turntable.

In a nutshell i recommend to audition Dynaudio, Spendor, Heco, Sonus Faber, JMR and maybe Hyperion if your budget allows.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts