Question Rega Question

Stonyjim

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I am looking for advice. I own an Apollo R CDP that I like the sound signature of. I can still get a Rega DAC -R from a local supplier that they have in stock despite it now been discontinued and think it would compliment the Apollo.
But I would also want to use it for streaming from a PC and pe haps add a streaming transport at some point something a Bluesound. I believe that the DAC_R is not compatible with Tidal masters files or the file format used by Tidal for their high-res recordings. Can someone please tell me preferably from their own experience if the upgrade is still a worthwhile one ? Will I be losing out big time in not having compatibility with the Master's recordings in Tidal ? Or will Tidal still sound good and my Apollo sound even better ?

matthewpiano

The DAC-R will add considerably to the performance of your Apollo-R. I tried this combination on loan when I owned an Apollo-R, but couldn't afford to add the DAC-R in the end.

Personally I find MQA over-rated and how much difference you would hear between this and CD-resolution files on Tidal really comes down to how revealing your amplifier and speakers are. What is the rest of your set-up?

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi, I am looking for advice. I own an Apollo R CDP that I like the sound signature of. I can still get a Rega DAC -R from a local supplier that they have in stock despite it now been discontinued and think it would compliment the Apollo.
But I would also want to use it for streaming from a PC and pe haps add a streaming transport at some point something a Bluesound. I believe that the DAC_R is not compatible with Tidal masters files or the file format used by Tidal for their high-res recordings. Can someone please tell me preferably from their own experience if the upgrade is still a worthwhile one ? Will I be losing out big time in not having compatibility with the Master's recordings in Tidal ? Or will Tidal still sound good and my Apollo sound even better ?

Didn't you ask this question a few days ago?

As i stated before all DAC's are somewhat compatible with the tidal masters (MQA) they (tidal) have a 3 stage unfold process, You have to have software on your computer to allow for the first 2 stages this will get up to 24/96 with certain tracks. To get the full-fat 192hz (and this isnt all tracks) the DAC has to have special encoders on board for the final unfold. So you losing out on the highest res stuff but 96hz is still nothing to be sniffed at.

MQA is this strange format that no really understands its basically a compression system that's done on the fly at the music studio with some debatable audio "benefits" its core is still a standard audio codec.

I wouldn't make my buying decision based on a format that hasn't taken off and as of right now only one place really uses it. It basically a dead formate. And only really use it as marketing spin and for its compression benefits.

Tidal sounds good through a good quality DAC as stated it depends on the rest of the system to how revealing it is but there is certainly more meat on the bones in most cases. Is it night and day? No so don't sweat it just get the dac at a great price as long as it fit your needs.

As i said before there always qobuz which requires no extra decoding just straight PCM at whatever bit rate.

D

Deleted member 116933

Correct. Developing a streaming platform is a huge investment that is a road Rega maybe does not want to travel on.

Or they don't see the benefit of it. PS Audio, for example, include it because people ask for it but Paul (the owner) has clearly stated he doesn't see the benefit of it outside the compresion

And some companies also don't see the benefit of streamers were a mac mini does the job and just as well and better in most cases with the right software.

manicm

Or they don't see the benefit of it. PS Audio, for example, include it because people ask for it but Paul (the owner) has clearly stated he doesn't see the benefit of it outside the compresion

And some companies also don't see the benefit of streamers were a mac mini does the job and just as well and better in most cases with the right software.

This is where I vehemently disagree with you and Paul. For me using a pc for hifi duty is horrifying. I don’t want to fiddle about, even though I’m in IT.

For me nothing beats a good streamer, with a good built in DAC. And a good app will always beat the PC for convenience hands down.

12 years ago I told Gilad Tiefenbrum that Linn’s streaming control was rubbish, but things have come a long way since, and I do not ever want to touch a PC for lounge lizard hifi duty. Never.

Streaming for me should offer consummate and transparent functionality - a PC just cannot do that.

Reactions: Al ears

Stonyjim

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

Very interesting comments. My amp is an Arcam A39 and I am currently using Monitor Audio Studio speakers which did not get reviewed well but I find them brilliant and very detailed. All cables and interconnect s are Van Den Hul. A lot of my listening is vinal using both a Technics 1210 and a Tecodec. Using a Gram Slee phone stage ( great product) and Ortofon 2m Bronze on the Techie and 2m Blue and Project valve phono stage for the belt drive. The appeal of the Apollo to me is it's somewhat like analogue, to my ears at least in its sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts