Rega Elicit-R?

chipd

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, This is my first post on here!

I'm currently looking into changing my old Marantz amp for a Rega Elicit-R to go with my recently purchaced RP6 turntable and RS1 speakers. I've had a brief listen at my local dealer and was very impressed. However I'm pretty sure I've read on here some time ago about someone having ongoing problems with their elicit r. Could anyone give me their thoughts on this amplifier and maybe some alternatives.

Thanks in advance, Mike

matthewpiano

I am a big Rega fan as my signature bears witness, and I've heard the Elicit-R several times and been very impressed with it. However, with that budget it is always worth trying a couple of different things so that whatever you buy you will know you chose it with your own ears. The Creek amp at the same price would definitely be on my list for audition and if you plan on sticking with the RS1s permanently you might also want to try the next model down in both ranges to see whether the difference is substantial enough - the Rega Elex-R and the Creek Evolution 50A.

chipd

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I am a big Rega fan as my signature bears witness, and I've heard the Elicit-R several times and been very impressed with it. However, with that budget it is always worth trying a couple of different things so that whatever you buy you will know you chose it with your own ears. The Creek amp at the same price would definitely be on my list for audition and if you plan on sticking with the RS1s permanently you might also want to try the next model down in both ranges to see whether the difference is substantial enough - the Rega Elex-R and the Creek Evolution 50A.

Thanks for the swift reply, sounds like good advice. I've already listened to the Elex-R at the same time as the Elicit-R and think I'd rather shell out the extra for the Elicit. The Elex was very good but just sounded a bit light next to the fuller sounding Elicit.

Maybe should check out some other brands though, although I do quite fancy an all Rega system!

matthewpiano

chipd said:
matthewpiano said:

Thanks for the swift reply, sounds like good advice. I've already listened to the Elex-R at the same time as the Elicit-R and think I'd rather shell out the extra for the Elicit. The Elex was very good but just sounded a bit light next to the fuller sounding Elicit.

Maybe should check out some other brands though, although I do quite fancy an all Rega system!
Yes, like you I fancy an all-Rega system. If I ever change my speakers...

chipd

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
The RS1's are loads better than the price would suggest and sounded very Impressive on the end of the Elicit-R, better than the floorstanders I thought!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Chipd

Yes I had problems with a few Elicit Rs, however Rega were superb in sorting it out - I am another happy owner of an Elciit R & RP6

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
chipd said:

Hi,

Last december I listened to the rega line for an evening on Vienna Beethovens. The Rega were all a bit too bright and the bass while beeing powerfull appeared fuzzy. When we switched to the naim I coudnt find anything I didnt like, my attention got more loose and I had shivers. That was it! I bought it instantly.

Another thing that comes out of my mind is simaudio. Since the canadian dollar is so low, you could ask for a revised price to your dealer!

matthewpiano

chipd said:
The RS1's are loads better than the price would suggest and sounded very Impressive on the end of the Elicit-R, better than the floorstanders I thought!
RS1 is the way I might go as I won't be changing my Rega electronics for a long time and it makes sense to use speakers and amp that were developed together.

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I myself have the Elex R and am very happy with it. With regards Naim I tried a Naim xs (not xs 2) at home for a week. Though very good my major gripe was soundstage. It just felt very flat sounding with little or no depth. Plenty of boogie though.

On trying the Elex R I found this to be far better soudstage wise. It creates a lovely 3d holographic feel to the music. This is something I really enjoy. It sort of gives me the feeling of actually being there in the venue. The bass is also great along with excellent vocals. It does on occasion depending on recording quality sound a tad bright. This is on with poorer recordings though.

The amp is also very quiet with absolutely 'no hum'.

All in all I am very happy with it.

chipd

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guy's I'll give the Elex another try, I only had a brief listen at the time and spent longer with the Elicit.

my dealer also sells naim so I'll give them a try too even though I've kind of got my heart set on a rega now :)

pleased you got sorted with your Elicit in the end Steve. I was a bit confused with talk of Icon Audio Valve amps etc. I've been a member of "rega research limited" group on Facebook for a couple of weeks and seen your rega setup on there (very nice)

Did you have a valve amp in between time, how did it compare to the elicit r?

chipd

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Ordered the Elicit-R today should have it within a week :)

Listened to it along side the Elex-R and a Naim XS2 and to me the Elicit sounded that bit more powerfull, dynamic and fuller in the bass than the Elex. The Naim was also impressive but just felt I could have listened to the Elicit all day long.

Going to be a looong week now!

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Congrats on the Elicit, I really like Rega gear myself.

Now you will be glued to your system going through all your music. I myself had the KEF R300' speakers home for a weeks trial. At the end of the week I was fed up listening to the 'system' and not the music. I got sort of worn out if you like. Its been great getting back to the music once again where I can just chill and relax. You enjor your new Elicit by doing the same.

jayrammusic

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I just ordered an Elicit-R, Apollo-R and Kef R500's

Spent a lot of time listening at the dealer in town to see if the extra £700 for the Elicit-R over the Elex-R was worth it. In the end I decided it was. I actually was going to go for the Elex-R and Tannoy XT6F's but ended up with a more expensive combo... but I think the premium is worth it. the Elicit and the R500s sound amazing together.

Looking forward to delivery now!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jayrammusic said:

Spent a lot of time listening at the dealer in town to see if the extra £700 for the Elicit-R over the Elex-R was worth it.  In the end I decided it was.  I actually was going to go for the Elex-R and Tannoy XT6F's but ended up with a more expensive combo... but I think the premium is worth it.  the Elicit and the R500s sound amazing together.

I've heard them together and (IMO) they complement each other beautifully.

jayrammusic

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
jayrammusic said:

Spent a lot of time listening at the dealer in town to see if the extra £700 for the Elicit-R over the Elex-R was worth it. In the end I decided it was. I actually was going to go for the Elex-R and Tannoy XT6F's but ended up with a more expensive combo... but I think the premium is worth it. the Elicit and the R500s sound amazing together.

I've heard them together and (IMO) they complement each other beautifully.

Yes the match up sounded great in the store, both streaming TIDAL HIFI and via the Apollo-R. Didn't listen to vinyl but have ordered an RP1 Performance also as a step back into vinyl. Also ordered the Rega EAR headphone amp as I like to listen via headphones at night.

A litte worried I did not test in home, but room is similar in size and shape to the test room in the store. Now just keeping fingers crossed for no faults. It can be a bit hit and miss ordering any electronics.

Tezrhc

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
I've had the elicit for a couple of months now and found it needed running in,it just gets better the more you use it,I'm using B&W 685s2's at the moment but have just ordered Tannoy XT8F which I get next week.

some poor recordings sound a little bright but the good ones sound excellent.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Love my Elicit R

The Elciit R is a very clean transparent amp, so poor recordings come through as sounding ropey.

Play a well pressed 80s vinyl LP and this amp just sounds amazing - great phono stage too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts