Rega Elex-R vs Musical Fidelity M2si?

JoelOman

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Hello Forum!

Quick question, no elaborate answer needed. Running a Network Streamer and really easily driven 8ohm speakers.

Which amp to get of these two?

Thanks!

JoelOman

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Currently at Sevenoaks SAV the MF is £100 off at £699. The Rega is £949.

I would go for a demo, but I’d be tempted to save £250.

Well, as a Swedish resident, I'd probably have to pay some high import taxes... 😳 (In Sweden, they are 10990SEK ~£926 and 9990SEK ~£842 respectively)

Well, as a Swedish resident, I'd probably have to pay some high import taxes... 😳 (In Sweden, they are 10990SEK ~£926 and 9990SEK ~£842 respectively)
If the Rega is cheaper then that’s an easy decision. Is there nothing Scandinavian that appeals, like Electrocompaniet, or Primare, for example? Obviously I don’t know your local prices.

JoelOman

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
If the Rega is cheaper then that’s an easy decision. Is there nothing Scandinavian that appeals, like Electrocompaniet, or Primare, for example? Obviously I don’t know your local prices.

The Rega is the more expensive one. Electrocompaniet is too expensive and Primare only makes Class-D amps. I like the warmth and feel of the Class A-B amps. Also, I'm looking for a "Purist" amp, so no Digital connectors / DACs and the likes of those.

JoelOman

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site

Hehe, if I had the money, I'd probably directly go for the Exposure 2510. But that's almost twice the price of the MF... (17995SEK)

The Rega is the more expensive one. Electrocompaniet is too expensive and Primare only makes Class-D amps. I like the warmth and feel of the Class A-B amps. Also, I'm looking for a "Purist" amp, so no Digital connectors / DACs and the likes of those.
Ok, I see. It’s still cheaper than where it’s made, bizarrely, so I think it edges ahead, especially as you’re after some ‘character’. I’d expect the MF to be more neutral. Worth trying alongside a €1250 Primare I15 if you can park your beliefs about class D!?

Reactions: JoelOman

JoelOman

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Ok, I see. It’s still cheaper than where it’s made, bizarrely, so I think it edges ahead, especially as you’re after some ‘character’. I’d expect the MF to be more neutral. Worth trying alongside a €1250 Primare I15 if you can park your beliefs about class D!?

Well, perhaps, but if I'm stepping up, above the ~1000EUR threshold, then the Marantz PM8006 also comes into play. I'm trying to not extend my budget too high. Hehe.

JoelOman

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Much as I like Marantz, you might not necessarily get significantly better results with a 8006 than from your 6006. That’s why trying to audition is such a help.

Fair enough. Yes, I'm actually not interested in something similar. Don't get me wrong, I do like the sound of the PM6006, it's just those two, the "ompf" and the bass control, that I'm missing a bit. Maybe some cleaner dynamics.

Look at the used market for Rotel's high current RA-1062. The RA-1062 will give you greater "ompf", bass control and cleaner dynamics and then some.

Btw, you should be able to find a good used RA-1062 around £250 - £350.
Good suggestion, mine cost me £240 but what's that for an amplifier of that quality.
My brother now has it in his system as a long term loan.

Reactions: JoelOman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts