Rega brio r help

steveb4

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
After reading all the reviews of the rega brio r. I decided it was time to upgrade, but I'm feeling a bit disappointed.

My current set up is a second system comprising of an arcam a65 plus monitor audio rs5's and a rega rp1 . I was really happy with the sound but was looking for a bit more punch as the arcam sounded a bit laid back with rock music.

I was going to buy the rega but as they didn't have any in stock I've borrowed their demo unit until Monday. But have paid for a new one.

I think the rega has more clarity and detail and has more get up and go but on the whole lacks the soundstage and bass weight of the arcam.

After 30 mins I turned it off and hooked the arcam back up. The arcam seems warmer and fuller and has more bass where the rega brio r seems a bit hollow and almost shrill.

The room it's in is a converted garage, I listen to alt country, rock pretty much everything except classical and dance music.

I'm now wandering if I should consider the arcam a19, a18 creek or rotel.I'm surprised that everyone loves the rega, though in the shop I did like it.

Anybody have any thoughts.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
They are all roughly in the same category both price wise and with regards to power.

I wouldn't really expect one to better the others significantly, perhaps slightly different if you listen closely. - You probably have to aim a little higher, perhaps at £1000 plus or go second hand/discontinued models with more power or a different topology.

regards

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The Brio-R needs to be properly warmed up and burned in to sound it's best. If you only played it for 30 min it won't certainly sound good. You should leave it on for a few hours or a day and make sure it has been run in for a few weeks before it rewards you with all it's glory. It only sounded great after 3 weeks from new and Rega advises to leave it on all day.

Give it a few more days, remember that a different presentation takes a while to get used to.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
steveb4 said:
After reading all the reviews of the rega brio r. I decided it was time to upgrade, but I'm feeling a bit disappointed. My current set up is a second system comprising of an arcam a65 plus monitor audio rs5's and a rega rp1

. I was really happy with the sound but was looking for a bit more punch as the arcam sounded a bit laid back with rock music.
I wonder whether you might have been wiser, as you like the arcam a65 sound so much, upgrading to another arcam, just one with more grunt?I have a Brio-r, and I love it to bits - but I was looking for neutrality, transparency and detail - all of which the Brior-r has in abundance - a bit like an amp equivalent of the KEF LS50's, in fact (I use TQ Greens to bring in some warmth!). Many other amps I tried gave a bigger sound and more warmth, but nothing like the stunning intricate detail of the Brio-r for a comparable price. For a lot more money the Cirrus A8DAC will give wonderful clarity with stunning warmth as well...On the other hand it is true that you are not comparing apples with apples. Your arcam is well settled in and running at its peak. A new amp, like a new cable, will take time to appear, and that is especially noticeable in upper and lower levels. And from power-on, the Brio-r takes around 2 hours to be "normally" warm! Of course there are other things like cables that markedly affect the sound of the complete system also - e.g. the optional extra Osiris-level Rega mains power cables increase the bass and depth very noticeably - but now I am not comparing apples with apples... (smile) I haven't heard the acram, but brands seem to have a house "sound", and if you love it and just want a better version of what you have now, going further up the same maker's chain of power and quality should be considered...Maybe first just play the Brior-r in for a couple of days. You will know by then...Good luck!

steveb4

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi

thanks for the comments, although I ordered the brio the shop didn't have any in stock so gave me their demo one, so I'm sure it's run in and was powered off for an hour or so whilst I took it home. The sound is growing on me, but the lack of bass is still diappointing.

the room is a garage converted to a dining room, so it's not really a listening room more for background music so the warmth was more important than the clarity, the room is full of hardwood which I thought add bass.

Maybe some new speakers are the answer?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts