Rega Brio-R and B&W 601 S3 too bassy

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I am really happy with the way my setup sounds when playing vinyl — it's tight, precise and full.

One let down with the system though is that it's a bit over the top with bass via the DAC.

It's fine for a lot of genres but those that are a little more bass heavy suffer quite a bit and it gets a bit tiresome. With more "natural" music it sounds awesome and I'm blown away.

Not to say that the bass is muddy, it's good quality, there's just too much of it.

The room I am using the setup in is about 4m by 4m.

Are my speakers mismatched to the amp?

jcarruthers said:
I am really happy with the way my setup sounds when playing vinyl — it's tight, precise and full.

One let down with the system though is that it's a bit over the top with bass via the DAC.

It's fine for a lot of genres but those that are a little more bass heavy suffer quite a bit and it gets a bit tiresome. With more "natural" music it sounds awesome and I'm blown away.

Not to say that the bass is muddy, it's good quality, there's just too much of it.

The room I am using the setup in is about 4m by 4m.

Are my speakers mismatched to the amp?

Have you tried experimenting with speaker postion? They should be at least 12" from the back wall.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the last poster. As your room has 2 sizes the same (4 x 4 square) it could give you a booming bass. Try speakers further from the backwall and a different distance to the sidewalls. The bass-overload will not be caused be the DAC.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I find the filter number 3 at 44-48khz with more bass response.

What filter are you using?

If you're talking about the Dac filters, they don't work.

Yes they do work! They have small differences but audible, and the filter number 3 have a slight bass response over the other!

I couldn't detect hardly any difference. So subtle, in fact, I gave up using them after a while. One of my comments about the Rega Dac at the time was it made the overall presentation sound a touch bloated when cranked up. (That was purely based on my room size and acoustics and the fact the Arcam was used as transport...)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I find the filter number 3 at 44-48khz with more bass response.

What filter are you using?

If you're talking about the Dac filters, they don't work.

Yes they do work! They have small differences but audible, and the filter number 3 have a slight bass response over the other!

I couldn't detect hardly any difference. So subtle, in fact, I gave up using them after a while. One of my comments about the Rega Dac at the time was it made the overall presentation sound a touch bloated when cranked up. (That was purely based on my room size and acoustics and the fact the Arcam was used as transport...)

You call "bloated" i call it Full/ritch...

I use the SBT as a transport, and I've found the differences between the filters just a few days ago. If you change the filters each 5-10 seconds you will not find any differences. But if you ear a full music that you know back to front you will find them.

Since i've bought the RP3 i start to play through the SBT the same musics that i have in vinyl, and the bass response of the vinyl is so much natural and full, i love the drums in the vinyl. And the same music in a FLAC file through the SBT don't even come close to the vinyl. But when i use the number 3 filter it get a bit better.

These are my finding... :?

:cheers: PP

I didn't wait 5-10 secs... ;)

Just clarify - by "bloating" I meant too bass heavy. Found the whole presentation, depending on the music played, just a little overbearing. This is, IMHO, the Naim excels: Very punchy but not too in ya face, if you see what I mean.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Just clarify - by "bloating" I meant too bass heavy. Found the whole presentation, depending on the music played, just a little overbearing. This is, IMHO, the Naim excels: Very punchy but not too in ya face, if you see what I mean.

don't take this as " a must have to be" but just the way I see it.

An external DAC need to have different sound presentation that a CD player need to.

A External DAC have to bring life to some poor digital contend like mp3 and other digital formats... And a DAC from a CD player doesn't need to do that job.

This is the way i see things, and thats why maibe you felt Rega DAC too bass heavy, i don't feel it like that... ;)

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:

don't take this as " a must have to be" but just the way I see it.

An external DAC need to have different sound presentation that a CD player need to.

A External DAC have to bring life to some poor digital contend like mp3 and other digital formats... And a DAC from a CD player doesn't need to do that job.

This is the way i see things, and thats why maibe you felt Rega DAC too bass heavy, i don't feel it like that... ;)

Indeed: Used as a part of a streaming device a dedicated DAC is logical option, but for upgrading a CDP I don't really see the point of using a DAC, unless, of course, you have a budget CDP and/or a DVD or Blu-ray player connected to a higher-end set-up.

Personally the Naim gives a better upgrade than a DAC/Arcam combo - one less box too. :dance:

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies — I need to get some longer cable so I can try positioning — they are about 6 inches away from the wall at the moment.

Though, I thought front firing bass ports were less sensitive to positioning?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I haven't found the Rega DAC too bass heavy at all but as for the filters I really cannot hear any audible difference IMHO, I gave read that filter 4&5 are the nicest so I just keep it on 5.

My DAC doesn't really get used much, preferring vinyl on the RP3 however when I listen to the DAC it never fails to amaze hiw analogue it sounds and I never tire of it and definitely isn't bass heavy imho

PP, as for the presentation you obviously prefer the sound of Naim, which is fine they are both great systems, one isn't better than the other they just offer a different sound!

To the OP your problem is the room acoustics and speaker placement - experiment!!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I haven't found the Rega DAC too bass heavy at all but as for the filters I really cannot hear any audible difference IMHO, I gave read that filter 4&5 are the nicest so I just keep it on 5.

My DAC doesn't really get used much, preferring vinyl on the RP3 however when I listen to the DAC it never fails to amaze hiw analogue it sounds and I never tire of it and definitely isn't bass heavy imho

PP, as for the presentation you obviously prefer the sound of Naim, which is fine they are both great systems, one isn't better than the other they just offer a different sound!

To the OP your problem is the room acoustics and speaker placement - experiment!!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
OP - try some Acoustic Energy speakers for a lovely tight bass. The bass doesn't dig deep but is so agile and attacking, I'll buy an old pair if 109s one day for nostalgia.

stevebrock said:

Firstly, I think Rega DAC is immensely good and totally 'get' the notion of using one when streaming. Also the uplift when connected to the Arcam was slightly better, although when cranked up it could sound a little "bloated", but I presume that is down to my room rather than the Dac. Fast forward on to the dem room at the dealers, compared to the Rega/Arcam combo the Naim had even more punch and detail without any bloom. Took a claculated risk with the Naim and those differences are mirrored in my living room. For my system a dedicated CDP is better than a cheaper CDP/Rega dac.

if you want to dig the thread up I did mention this.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So a couple of changes have made a bit of a difference— replacing the spikes on the top of the speaker stands with the supplied rubbers and toeing the speakers in a bit.

Have ordered some new speaker cable so I can move the speakers further apart and forward a little.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Can you fill your speaker stands with kiln-dried sand, or even rice (un-cooked :shifty:)

Are they on a suspended wooden floor?.......if so, try putting granite worktop savers under the stands.

Blu-tac is worth trying as well under the speakers (instead of rubber feet).

These are all cheap fixes which "can" make a big difference.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
They're Mission Stance speaker stands.

Apparently you can fill them — though I can't work out how :) they have big holes in the back of the larger tubes which I presume are for cable.

They are sitting on floorboards on the first floor and I have considered using the little turned pucks under the spikes — especially as we'll be getting new carpet soon. The sound does travel through the floor as you can hear them quite loudly downstairs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
They're Mission Stance speaker stands.

Apparently you can fill them — though I can't work out how :) they have big holes in the back of the larger tubes which I presume are for cable.

They are sitting on floorboards on the first floor and I have considered using the little turned pucks under the spikes — especially as we'll be getting new carpet soon. The sound does travel through the floor as you can hear them quite loudly downstairs.

Most of your problem is probably coming from the suspended floor.

Due to this, it is worth trying to de-couple your speakers from it:

- It is worth figuring out how to fill the stands (3/4 fill with dried sand or completely fill with rice....but it's worth experimenting with different levels)

- The Granite slabs can be picked up in supermarkets or Argos for around £10.

- Use the spike-pucks on the granite.

- 4 pea-sized balls of Blu-tac under the speakers also help isolate / stabalize the speakers.

TVC15

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
The DAC is too bassy, confirmed by a somewhat recent Stereophile review. As a result, I've never liked the DAC and prefer the Apollo. It's not always bad, until it throws off the timing of a great bass line, at which point it's infuriating.

Some may not notice it depending on their amp -- e.g, the Brio-R doesn't resolve the DAC's bloat, but the Elex-R (somewhat) and Elicit-R (especially) do.

So to the thread topic -- I don't think the Brio-R is bass heavy, but rather restrained in that area.

The DAC measures flat with test tones, but, there's some power supply noise that, when coupled with higher frequencies, bloats the bass at 120hz. Atkinson explains it in his measurements, the reviewer noted it, and I was nodding my head when I read the review.

When I first bought the DAC, conditioned to love it, I described it as 'authoritative and organic', but now I just perceive it as overblown and ponderous.

Don't know if the new DAC-R changes things or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts