Rega Apollo R or Marantz cd 6005?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
No; i never liked PMC. They are not smooth enough. Kef is my sound. With my very old Denon amp there is a very nice warm sound with pleasant treble. Yes; with this old amp you miss details, but the overal warm music is so relax listenable. The Exposure with my music was so agressiv and so much forward sounding with thin, cold, voices that i coudn't listen to it. Also the midrange not full sounding. Perhaps i must listen to a present Denon amp. Still now the Arcam A39 is no.1 on my shortlist. And it has the wrong colour and is too expensive but otherwise Luxman has probable the sound what i'm looking for.

Jeeze... PMC not smooth enough? The older 'i' series is lovely sounding. My TB2is are mind-blowingly good, without a hint of brightness.

The only Denon 2-channel I've heard was years ago: The 155 UK version, which cost about £120 and was brighter than a 100 watt bulb.

If you're not willing to look outside the box and try amps like the Croft (amp that CJ has, and, like you, he has sensitive hearing), or look at Dyn or Spendor speakers, I'm stumped.

The Kefs can't be your ideal speaker: They hurt your ears.

As they say on the Apprentice: I'm fired.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Can not speak for the present Spendor, but heard it years ago. What a dull, boring speaker! But indeed warm sounding. Maybe nice for classical and jazz. Not for metal.

D

Deleted member 108165

I've also got the Pearl Lite amp/cdp paired with PMC DB1's and they sound fantastic together! OK, they don't go low but what bass there is is tight and punchy and they never ever sound hard or harsh regarding highs, a terrific speaker all round. However, I am not into metal so would have no idea how they would sound with this paricular genre of music.

thumbs_up.gif
PMC!

Before you change your amp I think you need to get out and audition some other speaker brands first. Or maybe try to source a used Pearl Lite cdp.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
peterpan said:

Easy chaps. I totally understand what you're saying, and agree that some CDPs veer towards a analogue sound. However, by definition, a cd - digitally produced - can only be pushed so far before it sounds a little out of kilter...

Agree that Rega, Arcam, older Exposure and some valve-based CDPs sound more analoguey than a Cyrus or Naim. Personally I'm always careful with making these comparisons, as some individuals may misconstrude it as "CDP that sounds like vinyl".

PP; i don't find the Exposure (3010S@ amp) has a warm sound. Maybe the bass (also good control), but the highs are (too) bright especially female voices and too thin sounded.

Turntables aren't necessarily warm -- my Pro-ject/ClearAudio cart wasn't. This is another misconception. It is as open and airy as a CDP.

You seem to have a warm obsession. Exposure 2010S is a organic, natural presentation, similar to analogue or TTs. But organic doesn't need to be "warm". It means it isn't clinical or sanitised. Big difference.

[/quote]

"Organic"? Is this another euphemism for "distorted"?

Chris

csaboo

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Sorry for posting here, but I'd like to ask for some advice and I'm interested in the same brands, but their amplifier counterparts: Rega Brio-R, or Marantz PM6005 - I could buy a used Rega, or a brand new Marantz for the same price, but I'm not sure...I mostly listen to metal, rock, jazz, and so far I have heard only the Rega, which sounded nice, but the feature-set of the Marantz is also very tempting. I've read that Marantz is not the typical choice for "metalheads", due to its laid-back sound and overly refined presentation, but seems like the PM6005 is different and more punchy, agile and musical (again, based on the reviews I've found; I know I should audition it but it's not possible at the moment).

Thanks in advance for all the quick replies! ;-)

(excuse my english in case it's f***ed up here and there) :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
csaboo said:
Hi all,

Sorry for posting here, but I'd like to ask for some advice and I'm interested in the same brands, but their amplifier counterparts: Rega Brio-R, or Marantz PM6005 - I could buy a used Rega, or a brand new Marantz for the same price, but I'm not sure...I mostly listen to metal, rock, jazz, and so far I have heard only the Rega, which sounded nice, but the feature-set of the Marantz is also very tempting. I've read that Marantz is not the typical choice for "metalheads", due to its laid-back sound and overly refined presentation, but seems like the PM6005 is different and more punchy, agile and musical (again, based on the reviews I've found; I know I should audition it but it's not possible at the moment).

Thanks in advance for all the quick replies! ;-)

(excuse my english in case it's f***ed up here and there) :)

I would not have thought either of them are ideal for heavy metal. WHF review says about 6005 "Could be a little punchier"

I don't think Rega Brio is really the ticket either. I would have thought a Roksan Kandy K2 if you can find a used one would be better, about £500.

csaboo

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. My budget is fairly limited and I could get the Marantz now for ~310 pound. I'm also on the hunt for a new pair of speakers, so basically I'm just trying to get the best possible amp for the money I could spare. (Btw, my current setup is a NAD C316BEE amp with a pair of MA BX2 speakers and a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon tt.) Some might say I should spend all my money on speakers, but after hearing how detailed the Rega sounded, I'm really tempted to get something better than my NAD...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
csaboo said:
Thanks for your reply. My budget is fairly limited and I could get the Marantz now for ~310 pound. I'm also on the hunt for a new pair of speakers, so basically I'm just trying to get the best possible amp for the money I could spare. (Btw, my current setup is a NAD C316BEE amp with a pair of MA BX2 speakers and a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon tt.) Some might say I should spend all my money on speakers, but after hearing how detailed the Rega sounded, I'm really tempted to get something better than my NAD...

Tough choice. I don't think the Marantz who be a great step up from the Nad. Its depends how much you want to spend on hifi and over how long. My advise is make a big step up with amp and speakers and then keep them for a long time. If you buy the Marantz you may want to change it in a year or 2s time. My concern is the Rega maybe too polite and lack some power for certain genres of music. If I were you I would have some more demos and also look out for used bargains, you can pick up nearly new gear at around 40% off new price, Ive seen 2 Arcam A19s go for around £400, not that Im a fan of the A19 and I dont think it would suit heavy metal. I may get the amp. now and then save up for speakers next year. Don't rush into anything.

csaboo

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Tough choice. I don't think the Marantz who be a great step up from the Nad. Its depends how much you want to spend on hifi and over how long. My advise is make a big step up with amp and speakers and then keep them for a long time. If you buy the Marantz you may want to change it in a year or 2s time. My concern is the Rega maybe too polite and lack some power for certain genres of music. If I were you I would have some more demos and also look out for used bargains, you can pick up nearly new gear at around 40% off new price, Ive seen 2 Arcam A19s go for around £400, not that Im a fan of the A19 and I dont think it would suit heavy metal. I may get the amp. now and then save up for speakers next year. Don't rush into anything.

Very good advice, Sir, I will take it! *smile* Would you start by finding the right speakers before getting a new amplifier, or the other way around? Considering how much I'm willing to spend on hifi, I always have this strange (although reasonable) feeling that I shouldn't spend way too more than a certain price... for example on the last demo, the guy at the store basically forced me to check the Kef LS50, which is almost 1000 euro here, and I thought that it is simply too much money for a pair of speakers (I guess I'm simply not on that level yet, and yes, price-wise it's a big jump compared to my current 350 euro speakers). Before that I've heard the Dali Zensor 3 (400 euro) with my amp and the sound was suprisingly good, even though it's just a 50 euro step from what I have, so yes, tough choice indeed.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
csaboo said:
BigH said:

Very good advice, Sir, I will take it! *smile* Would you start by finding the right speakers before getting a new amplifier, or the other way around? Considering how much I'm willing to spend on hifi, I always have this strange (although reasonable) feeling that I shouldn't spend way too more than a certain price... for example on the last demo, the guy at the store basically forced me to check the Kef LS50, which is almost 1000 euro here, and I thought that it is simply too much money for a pair of speakers (I guess I'm simply not on that level yet, and yes, price-wise it's a big jump compared to my current 350 euro speakers). Before that I've heard the Dali Zensor 3 (400 euro) with my amp and the sound was suprisingly good, even though it's just a 50 euro step from what I have, so yes, tough choice indeed.

I think you need to try out various set ups. If the Rega and Dalis suit you then go for them but if you feel you need something more expensive then maybe amp first. The Kef LS50s are good but need some careful matching. You could try the Kef R100s which are somewhat cheaper. Some say the NAD D3020 works with the LS50s but I have not heard it. Don't let dealers bully you.

csaboo

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
I think you need to try out various set ups. If the Rega and Dalis suit you then go for them but if you feel you need something more expensive then maybe amp first. The Kef LS50s are good but need some careful matching. You could try the Kef R100s which are somewhat cheaper. Some say the NAD D3020 works with the LS50s but I have not heard it. Don't let dealers bully you.

What is your opinion on the NAD C356BEE? I have heard it with the Dali Zensor 3 and the sound was beefy and powerful, but maybe I need to organize a second demo...I searched for the Roksan, found a few left at RicherSounds for a good price (http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/roksan/kandy-k2/roks-k2-amp-blk), but I'm afraid they won't ship it to the Netherlands...

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I too would be cautious of the brio r to be used mostly for heavy metal. It is a very good amp and has planty of power, but may be slightly on the bright side, but i would say it depends on the speakers you have. Also it may depend on the size of your room and how loud you will be listening to music. How large is your listening room? I dont listen to a lot of metal on mine, but a little, more hard rock, and it can sound very good with this. Some albums really dont sound convincing though....such as red hot chilli peppers albums. They really seem to lack the natural authentic rock sound....maybe it is the amp? I have heard the nad 326bee and it was slightly darker in sound...more bass...maybe this would be a good idea? The roksan as well, at that price i would guess would be very good. It is worth trying to find a little more cash if you can in order to end up with a systm that you are happy with.

csaboo

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
I too would be cautious of the brio r to be used mostly for heavy metal. It is a very good amp and has planty of power, but may be slightly on the bright side, but i would say it depends on the speakers you have. Also it may depend on the size of your room and how loud you will be listening to music. How large is your listening room? I dont listen to a lot of metal on mine, but a little, more hard rock, and it can sound very good with this. Some albums really dont sound convincing though....such as red hot chilli peppers albums. They really seem to lack the natural authentic rock sound....maybe it is the amp? I have heard the nad 326bee and it was slightly darker in sound...more bass...maybe this would be a good idea? The roksan as well, at that price i would guess would be very good. It is worth trying to find a little more cash if you can in order to end up with a systm that you are happy with.

My room is around 30-35 m2 and I don't play my music too loud. If you found RHCP to be challenging for the Rega, then the music I prefer would sound disappointingly I'm afraid...the distorted guitars sounded weak and without body when I auditioned the Rega with the Kef LS50s and my test music (songs from Katatonia, Riverside, Chimaira, Rage Against the Machine, Opeth).

I haven't heard the 326 yet, but the 356 delivered enough punch and dynamics and like you've mentioned, a more darker sound. It's gonna be impossible to demo the Roksan here :(

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
csaboo said:
BigH said:

What is your opinion on the NAD C356BEE? I have heard it with the Dali Zensor 3 and the sound was beefy and powerful, but maybe I need to organize a second demo...I searched for the Roksan, found a few left at RicherSounds for a good price (http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/roksan/kandy-k2/roks-k2-amp-blk), but I'm afraid they won't ship it to the Netherlands...

Sorry I have not heard that NAD but thats sounds about right from my previous experience of NAD. The RK K2 looks quite a good deal but then 18 months ago they were not much more than that new. If you buy from RS make sure you know what you are buying, ie is it brand new, opened box, return or ex display.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts