Rega Apollo R or Marantz cd 6005?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Sounded the Rega Apollo R really better than the Marantz cd 6005? And in which way? Or can i go better with the Marantz SA-8005? Yes; the Naim cd5si must be very good. But i hate Naim and also find it too expensive.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I change my mind and keep my Marantz cd 6004 and go for streaming. I think is today the better way. But i must ripped al my cd's. Horrible*shok*. But i see there is the Blue Sound who ripped it automatic. With a Pioneer streamer i think better than buy a expensive cdp.

Each will offer different things. The 8005 is a SACD machine, which might float your boat. The Naim is a hairshirt design with a distinctive flavour.

You seem to have decided already and copying digitally should not be an issue.

matthewpiano

The Apollo-R is outstanding and beats every other CD player I've had (including the Roksan K2, Arcam CD73T, and the Marantz CD6004). I'll not be changing mine unless I get a lottery win.

However, if you are going to move to streaming perhaps you might consider something like the Rega DAC-R.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
No problems with te Rega.? I read about many problems with the Rega on internet. In which way better sounding than Marantz?

matthewpiano

No problems.

The Apollo-R doesn't really sound much like most CD players. It sounds more like a good turntable. In fact, my two sources sound very similar to each other. Both present the music in a way which pulls me in and neither gets in the way. That is how the Apollo-R is different to most other CD players.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
No problems.

The Apollo-R doesn't really sound much like most CD players. It sounds more like a good turntable. In fact, my two sources sound very similar to each other. Both present the music in a way which pulls me in and neither gets in the way. That is how the Apollo-R is different to most other CD players.

The Apollo R, unlike most CD players is NOT edgy - thats why it sounds so smooootttthhhhhhh

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Interesting. Seems the perfect player for me. I find cdp too edgy, not smooth enough. That's way i looked at a turntable, but i have no lp's. That will be too pricey.

I think i will go listen to the Rega.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
No problems.

You are on the money here, the Apollo-R has been carefully and very successfully voiced to sound similar to Rega's record players. They both have a warm, rather lush sound that many people like.

If you were cynical, you might say that Rega had no choice in this, they chose to compensate for the rather dark presentation of their record players with sprightly, slightly bright sounding amps and speakers, so then of course, had to voice their budget CD player accordingly.

davedotco said:
matthewpiano said:
No problems.

You are on the money here, the Apollo-R has been carefully and very successfully voiced to sound similar to Rega's record players. They both have a warm, rather lush sound that many people like.

If you were cynical, you might say that Rega had no choice in this, they chose to compensate for the rather dark presentation of their record players with sprightly, slightly bright sounding amps and speakers, so then of course, had to voice their budget CD player accordingly.

Easy chaps. I totally understand what you're saying, and agree that some CDPs veer towards a analogue sound. However, by definition, a cd - digitally produced - can only be pushed so far before it sounds a little out of kilter...

Agree that Rega, Arcam, older Exposure and some valve-based CDPs sound more analoguey than a Cyrus or Naim. Personally I'm always careful with making these comparisons, as some individuals may misconstrude it as "CDP that sounds like vinyl".

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
davedotco said:
matthewpiano said:
No problems.

Easy chaps. I totally understand what you're saying, and agree that some CDPs veer towards a analogue sound. However, by definition, a cd - digitally produced - can only be pushed so far before it sounds a little out of kilter...

Agree that Rega, Arcam, older Exposure and some valve-based CDPs sound more analoguey than a Cyrus or Naim. Personally I'm always careful with making these comparisons, as some individuals may misconstrude it as "CDP that sounds like vinyl".

It is usually just tweaking of the analog output circuit to voice the sound as required, hence valve output stages.

It is difficult if not impossible to mess with the dac chip, and different filters do not usually make a huge difference so it is done in the analog electronics.

Of course it does not sound like vinyl but the Apollo has been deliberately given a sound signature that does not jar with the establised sound of Rega's record players, that is all.

davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:
davedotco said:
matthewpiano said:
No problems.

It is usually just tweaking of the analog output circuit to voice the sound as required, hence valve output stages.

It is difficult if not impossible to mess with the dac chip, and different filters do not usually make a huge difference so it is done in the analog electronics.

Of course it does not sound like vinyl but the Apollo has been deliberately given a sound signature that does not jar with the establised sound of Rega's record players, that is all.

Wasn't having a go at you or Matthew, but experience on here tells me that some MIGHT misunderstand the essence of the posts. In fact, some have misconstrude in the info and taken it in a literal sense, and ending up being a little disgruntled.

The OP has spent a lot of time looking for the ideal "warm" system...

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes; and because that i'm afraid for streaming. Maybe not warm enough for me. How sounds it with bad records (Metal music).

So a Rega Apollo seems a safe choice. But i also knows that the days of CD's are gone. Many people said to me in these days don't buy a cdp, but go streaming. When you go streaming, you don't use a cdp anymore.

The Lyngdorf amp by example seems very interesting. But i read that it let hear how bad a record is. Than it is not the amp for me.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I think I understand.

The simple answer is possibly to stream but to use the Rega Dac, which has a similer sound character to the Apollo. Choose a simple streamer with digital out or a computer to drive the Rega Dac.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site

[/quote]

PP; i don't find the Exposure (3010S@ amp) has a warm sound. Maybe the bass (also good control), but the highs are (too) bright especially female voices and too thin sounded.

peterpan said:

PP; i don't find the Exposure (3010S@ amp) has a warm sound. Maybe the bass (also good control), but the highs are (too) bright especially female voices and too thin sounded.

[/quote]

Turntables aren't necessarily warm -- my Pro-ject/ClearAudio cart wasn't. This is another misconception. It is as open and airy as a CDP.

You seem to have a warm obsession. Exposure 2010S is a organic, natural presentation, similar to analogue or TTs. But organic doesn't need to be "warm". It means it isn't clinical or sanitised. Big difference.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
PP; i can't listen to the Exposure 3010S2. It hurt my ears. Too bright. My old Denon amp, 30 years old!, sounds finer. Warmer en female voices sounded fine. With the Exposure it seems like a digital artifact.

That's why i'm interesting in the Arcam A39. I hope it is next week by the dealer. Then i can listen to it. Today Denon is already on the bright side.

peterpan said:
PP; i can't listen to the Exposure 3010S2. It hurt my ears. Too bright. My old Denon amp, 30 years old!, sounds finer. Warmer en female voices sounded fine. With the Exposure it seems like a digital artifact.

That's why i'm interesting in the Arcam A39. I hope it is next week by the dealer. Then i can listen to it. Today Denon is already on the bright side.

What speakers do you have? Please remind me of your current amp?

Maybe worth trying, also, a Nad 356BEE or previous 355. They aren't warm IMO, but they are bass heavy and can give a perceived warm sonic ambience, due to their chunky LFs.

Having owned Arcam for more years than I care to name, they are also pretty neutral, although the presentation is fairly laid back..

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
PP; my speakers are Kef R500. Formidable speakers. I'm looking at a amp which sounds warm, not too forward but also not boring with my (metal) music. In the past Arcam was on the warm side, but also a little boring. But maybe the new A39 is different.

peterpan said:
PP; my speakers are Kef R500. Formidable speakers. I'm looking at a amp which sounds warm, not too forward but also not boring with my (metal) music. In the past Arcam was on the warm side, but also a little boring. But maybe the new A39 is different.

Doesn't the Kef R series have metal or aluminium tweeters?

The reason why I suggested the Nad, like early Arcams, have tone controls. Might also be worth checking out a graphic equalizer. You can bespoke the sound until the cows come home.

Might, also, be worth looking at hybrid valve amps around that price. Croft amplification spring to mind. Pair them with Dynaudio, PMC or maybe your Kefs...

I would look at fabric tweeters, like PMC, Spendor...

IMHO, it is about synergy and not how warm or harsh a system is. Dislike pidgeonholing products.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I have looked at the Lyngdorf tdai 2170. Not heard with my speakers. Seems a very interesting amp. But owners reported that it gives a honestly sound and let hear the quality of the CD. And with bad records.....

peterpan said:

Okay. You have a tough decision ahead. The Marantz should have enough guts to drive the R500s, assuning you don't play at wall shaking levels. I know you love the Kefs... but don't cut your nose despite your face. They have ali tweeters, I've just checked the specs, go and listen to PMC Twenty series. Or look at Spendor A5, which are quite dark sounding.

I'm convinced your speakers are causing grief of the lugholes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts