Rega 2016/17

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Successor of Brio R has been out for half a year or so but with the exception of two real reviews, there is very little publicity about it. If memory serves me well, Brio R drew much more attention when it was introduced. Is it too early , am I being ipmtaient or is there something else?

ivavcr said:
It may not be clear from my original post but am trying to find out if the new Brio is a real improvement compared to the Brio R.
I imagine it doesn't need much publicity, as in the U.K. at least, it will sell readily through their many dealers, particularly if the turntable is a source.

I recall there were a few issues with the previous model, various buzzes and hums, but it probably sold well. Are you thinking of replacing your NAD?

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am thinking about changing my D3020. When Brio R was introduced I was really impressed by it. I was one step from buying it when I figured that I could buy NAD C326BEE for over 40% less than the Brio R. It was an easy decision to make and it appears that I was lucky having in mind the number of people having problems with a noisy transformer some Brios had.

After a few years, I moved to the D3020 and to this very day this amp sounds great and it is a spectacular value, especially here in Canada at around GBP 300.

Based on the reviews I was able to find, new Rega is a very fine amp. I am simply trying to find if there is something I should know before making a final decision.

If you do decide to move from the NAD I suggest you ensure you can hear the Rega at home with the option to return it, as you could be simply moving sideways. Different, but not necessarily better. Or a better return in sound quality by spending the money elsewhere (not that you shouldn't just buy more music!).

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hearing it at home may be tricky but it is definitely worth a try.

I am certain that I would have no problem switching to your Primare I32! I had an opportuinity to hear my speakers with it and I was most impressed! Unfortunately, both size wise (wil not fit available space) and money wise it is out of my reach.

Thank you for your input.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
For all I've seen, the brio 2017 seems to be an improvement on the older R.

Fuller sound and more dynamic seem to be have been mentioned. It sure looks better too. Slightly loose and full bass have been pointed out too. It's in line for the speakers it's likely going to be used with ie. small standmounts. Going up the range sound is likely to get more transparent, extended and controlled which some may perceive as less musical or more clinical. The usual changes.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I also like the appearance of the new version much more. The R was pre industrial looking. The best part, so far nobody reported a buzzing or humming transformer!

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about the same when I saw the C368. I like NAD in general and so far had a few starting with the original 3020 back in 1981.

Usually British audio equipment is sold at steep premium of 40-50% here in Canada. For some reason, that is not the case with new Rega. I did some calculations and Brio is currently being sold at GBP 694 and C368 is GBP 789, both with taxes included. Initially Brio was offered with free RP 1 turntable. That made it even cheaper than it is in UK! Quite confusing. It could be that NAD is testing the water and it may be cheaper soon....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts