Rediscovered the joy of good music; advice from some audiophiles wanted

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently re-discovered the joy of good music at home after many years listening only in the car or on a computer with headphones.

I recently moved home (2 bedroom apartment - I'm on the first floor, so I have to be mindful of the neighbours during the evenings), and decided to buy a Denon RCD-M38DAB paired with some Q Acoustic 2010s. I'm very happy with the quality given the basement price I picked them up for after a bit of shopping around.

The problem is I've now been bitten, and I'm hankering for the beautiful clarity and depth that I remember from my father's stereo when I was a child. He was an avid audiophile back in the day, with his beautiful valve power-amp and perfectly balanced turntable, with the lounge arrange just for the best acoustics.

I'm really looking for some kind of guidance for what will suit me best for a square lounge with a wooden floor, approximately 16' x 16' in size. I'll be listening to some classical and stuff with vocals that I really want to hear and feel properly. (I'm a Dire Straits, Chris Rea, Missy Higgins and Radio 4 kind of girl).

I have ripped my CD collection to raw 16bit 44khz stereo PCM files (so I can easily transcode them to whatever I want, whenever I want, for whatever device I want). This will be my main source of input via an Apple AirPort Express (or whatever better fidelity alternative anyone else can suggest). A CD player and DAB are nice to have, but I imagine I can use the Denon M38DAB to serve these functions.

My budget is £2,500. Given where I live I'm guessing (and hoping) this is easily enough to fill my ears and heart with beautiful sounds.

If anybody is able to guide me here I would be eternally grateful.

Nicola

EDIT, PS: I would also like to look at a turn table. I miss the distinctive sound of vinyl. This wouldn't be my main input though; more like a special treat to me relished when I need it. :)

Thanks in advance people!

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
FWIW my vote would be for a Naim UnitiQute (or second-hand NaimUniti from eBay) and a pair of Spendor SA1 'speakers. Hi-fi is a hugely personal thing, so make sure you listen before you buy.

A

Anonymous

Avi Adm 9.1's + a phono stage and an entry level turntable. Phono stage connects to the anolog connection and Airport Express via Toslink cable. If the Denon has an optical out it can also be connected via Toslink to the remaining input, you could add a sub in the future if you feel you need one
Nick

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i would surmise then that you would want a decent dac, amp and speakers for approx 2k to leave some budget for a vinyl solution. this is really going to be subjective to what kind of sound floats your boat, the only credible advice i can offer is to go along to a local dealer and listen to some different brands. one caveat tho would be that you said you had a wooden floor ( room size and furnishings also matter a lot ). either floor standing or bookshelf, ie standmount speakers are then going to have to be listened to with an understanding that your room and possible placement restrictions should be talked over with said retailer. then theres aesthetics, so i dont think anybody saying buy a,b and c is going to count for much.

A

Anonymous

I advise looking seriously into the offerings from AVI.

1) AVI Neutron V with subwoofer. The sub contains three 100W amps and a DAC for digital duty. The Neutrons are powered from here and all is controlled with a remote. This is £1299 I think.

2) The next step up is the ADM9.1T solution. This is a pair of active speakers that contain amps and DAC, £1,125. The matching sub is £800 and is a superb thing.

In my experience of hifi over the last 15 years or so, including buying Quad gear, Spendor SA1s, Musical Fidelity, Arcam gear, etc, etc, this AVI stuff represents insane VFM. The 9.1s are stunning, regardless of the price.

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Ignore the AVI commandos for the moment . You best bet is to go to your local dealers, name your budget and listen to a number of packages, including the AVI offerings. No one setup is necessarily better than another. It's your ears that will tell whether something works for you or not.

For the music you'd like I'd suggest the Peachtree Audio Nova. It is a good amp+DAC package, and has a valve stage to boot. It's on the warmer side of neutral, which lends itself to prolonged listening without the fatifue that some more detailed , as in brighter, systems fall prey to. For speakers I'd look at Totem, Chario, or the seldom reviewed Sonus Faber Toy range.

When it comes to turntables I'd go second hand and pick up something like the AR turntable or a Systemdek. They are much, much better than the entry/mid level decks currently available.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, nicolaw
emotion-21.gif

Here's my two penneth worth - if classical music is important to you, I'd base my system around what you think suits that type of music. IME, a system that makes rock, pop 'n' soul etc sound great can often make classical sound tinny and synthetic.

Find a good setup for classical, and then your rock, pop 'n' soul will also sound pretty decent, especially vocals, which should have a pleasing lack of sibilance. But hey, I'm sure many others will disagree.

If you've fond memories of a "valve power-amp and perfectly balanced turntable", it might be worth investigating Arcam and/or Rega's kit?

And I don't mean to be a kill-joy but... a subwoofer in a ground-floor apartment? How good is the insulation between the ceiling and floor above?

A

Anonymous

I don't think nicolaw wanted a subwoofer, just a decent system.

A

Anonymous

It was in the context of a system that lacks bass, not a general suggestion at all though. None of the non-AVI systems really need subwoofers, particularly the Toy towers and the Totems. Meant to specify Totam Arros, by the way, mea culpa.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
You have a realistic budget for what you want to achieve.

In your situation an amp that works well at low volumes would be ideal, i remember a Yamaha being mentioned recently but which model i cant, sorry. It will
work just as well at higher volumes when you can want to do this. I would put some money aside for headphones also, Grado SR60 are a good fit, finish and sound quality is pretty good.

Synergise speakers with amp.

On a TT, the Pro-Ject RPM5 or various ilk's of would give you years of vinyl pleasure, upgradable with speed box's ect. for added finess.

One thing to remember in this game is it's easy to overspend and to get swept away with moment, stick to your budget and take your time and you'll get a system you'll enjoy for years to come.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Grottyash:It was in the context of a system that lacks bass, not a general suggestion at all though. None of the non-AVI systems really need subwoofers, particularly the Toy towers and the Totems. Meant to specify Totam Arros, by the way, mea culpa.

Yeah, you're right, plenty of overhang so no need for a sub in those.

A

Anonymous

I've put together a system recently and like it. Might be worth a try for you, similar budget.

SB Touch -> Rega Dac -> [Chord Co. Crimson Plus]-> Rega Mira 3-> [Chord co. CSS] -> Rega RS5

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
MoData:
I've put together a system recently and like it. Might be worth a try for you, similar budget.

SB Touch -> Rega Dac -> [Chord Co. Crimson Plus]-> Rega Mira 3-> [Chord co. CSS] -> Rega RS5

Like the sig then.

A

Anonymous

With the Adms you may not need the sub, I did without for a year and bought it to turn my system into a 2.1 for DvD/ Tv viewing. You can buy Sub platforms that reduce the sound and vibration to the neighbours.( I can't remember the name).
The 9.1's are very good with classical and sublime with vocals.
Nick

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Grottyash:Overhang? What is this?

I think Igglebert is referring to the lack of bass driver control caused by inserting a passive crossover between the power amp and the bass drive unit. Often perceived as more bass extension but really just distortion.

A

Anonymous

NUMBER ONE: Take your time making your mind up. Get beyond the excitement of what you plan to do before making a decision and find a dealer who will let you try at home.

By all means read reviews, but let your ears be the guide. I have been through the "but every reviewer seems to love these but I don't seem to" bit. I am still happy to listen to pointers, but I have to decide what's for me in the end.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
WinterRacer:
Grottyash:Overhang? What is this?

I think Igglebert is referring to the lack of bass driver control caused by inserting a passive crossover between the power amp and the bass drive unit. Often perceived as more bass extension but really just distortion.

Never again passive's then igglebert...
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts