Recording Music: Analogue Style!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Good weekend-end all!

Since I have been messing about with my system this weekend, I have noticed that there is something missing in my setup. A recording device.

"Oh don't be silly", I hear many of you say. "Just stick it into your computer!"

Well yes, that's all well and good, but sticking my system into the computer to record is a little...a little...well a little boring, put simply. I want to be recording analogue style - no CDs or PCs involved thankyou very much.

Thus, the question arises of what I should buy. My budget is £250. I was originally thinking of a Revox B77 (I can hear Clare shouting "YES" already!) but I'm not quite sure how they work in all honesty and it seems a bit silly to me to have to adjust the recording level of each channel - that can't do the soundstage any good if you don't have it just right, can it?! So now, I am thinking of perhaps a really, really good cassette player; but which one? The Nak Dragon or the Nak CR-7E or is there another?

Sound quality is obviously my main concern. I want to be able to record the proms and make compilations and record myself and my band when we play (we are called Integrated if anyone is interested!) AND for under £250, si possible.

If anyone could suggest to me and fun and high-quality machine to do all this on, please tell me!

Many thanks from your local Vintage-Idiot,

Hughes.

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:Good weekend-end all!

Since I have been messing about with my system this weekend, I have noticed that there is something missing in my setup. A recording device.

"Oh don't be silly", I hear many of you say. "Just stick it into your computer!"

Well yes, that's all well and good, but sticking my system into the computer to record is a little...a little...well a little boring, put simply. I want to be recording analogue style - no CDs or PCs involved thankyou very much.

Thus, the question arises of what I should buy. My budget is £250. I was originally thinking of a Revox B77 (I can hear Clare shouting "YES" already!) but I'm not quite sure how they work in all honesty and it seems a bit silly to me to have to adjust the recording level of each channel - that can't do the soundstage any good if you don't have it just right, can it?! So now, I am thinking of perhaps a really, really good cassette player; but which one? The Nak Dragon or the Nak CR-7E or is there another?

Sound quality is obviously my main concern. I want to be able to record the proms and make compilations and record myself and my band when we play (we are called Integrated if anyone is interested!) AND for under £250, si possible.

If anyone could suggest to me and fun and high-quality machine to do all this on, please tell me!

Many thanks from your local Vintage-Idiot,

Hughes.

Dont think youll get either of those Naks for under £250 matey....more like £600 upwards and even then that wont be for a really good examples that have been recently serviced etc.

A

Anonymous

ok...reel to reel it is then? And Clare, how much did you get your Dragon and your Revox for? (I hope you don't mind me asking!)
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

JCR1:Just a thought but what about using a nicam vcr?

Not enough fun - can't get my head around the fact that it's a VHS!

I think I might go with reel to reel actually, but I need a bit of help at what to look for (what sort of track do I need and what speed?)

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:ok...reel to reel it is then? And Clare, how much did you get your Dragon and your Revox for? (I hope you don't mind me asking!)
emotion-1.gif

reel to reel is basically the only way your going to get top class analogue recordings at your budget....probably as good as any Nak if not better.

You could also look into a professional cassette deck, Tascam, denon pro etc, probably a fairly new secondhand one to at your budget.

A

Anonymous

Ok - right. I'm going to go for a Revox B77, so what tape do I need for that, and what sort of settings do I need to use? Does anyone know?

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
...Good condition (serviced) Revox's will likely cost £300 and upwards .....even a good condition Akai D4000 (smaller reels + slower speeds)will likely cost not much less ....

At £250 max look for the best Nakamichi Cassette deck you can afford ..alternative cassette manufacturers to look out for would be Akai and some of the high end Pioneers ..Revox also manufactured a great cassette deck but a good one would also be pricey!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts