Recommendations for Upgrade of Vinyl system

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my hi-fi system. I have a large vinyl collection so that's the priority. I'm currently using a Project Debut deck, I think a 1 or 2 - its about 10 years old with a 21 yr old Technics entry level amp and 21 yr old mission speakers.

I've read a lot about pre-amps and phono stages but it's all a bit confusing to be honest.

What I'm really looking for is a system which gets me to the next level up. I've been recommended to a Rega RP1 and RP3 deck - the prices are quite different so I'd appreciate any views on whether there is a real difference between them - ie, one that would be worth double the price. Also, what would be the best amp set up to make the most of it. Also, speaker wise, same questions.

I've probably got about £1000 to spend. I'm looking to spend it wisely!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
JonB1001 said:
BigH said:
IS that £1000 to spend on amp and TT?

Yes, I wish it was more, but that is what I have to spend on the whole upgrade.

Then that could be a problem. You could just get TT and amp for now? If so I would look at Rega 3 TT and Rega Brio R amp. can be had for £400 ex demo. Or Project Carbon Debut Esprit are about £400 then Rega Brio amp again, no need for phono amp. I would be looking to spend £500+ on speakers. Are your Missions Floorstanders?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My advise was going to be to spend the £1000 on a RP3/elis2 or other cart in the same budget, and the Rega Brio R that has already fit in the phono stage and a very good one, may I add, and wait a little longet to upgrade your speakers.

Don't need to be all at once.*dirol*

And welcome to the forum! Some might call it "The Mad house"*diablo*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
JonB1001 said:
BigH said:
IS that £1000 to spend on amp and TT?

Yes, I wish it was more, but that is what I have to spend on the whole upgrade.

Then that could be a problem. You could just get TT and amp for now? If so I would look at Rega 3 TT and Rega Brio R amp. can be had for £400 ex demo. Or Project Carbon Debut Esprit are about £400 then Rega Brio amp again, no need for phono amp. I would be looking to spend £500+ on speakers. Are your Missions Floorstanders?

Agreed.

Decent vinyl playback is an expensive option. The existing budget will really only get you a new, fresh, modern version of what you already have.

I would be inclined to go 'old school' in this case, maybe a Rega or Project (the new ones are very good) with the Brio-r and either your existing speakers or something inexpensive, maybe a discontinued model from the more obvious retailers.

BTW. A phono stage is a separate pre amplifier for phono only. Most amplifiers used to have them built in, some popular modern ones do not, hence the need for a separate one.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
You could get a really good sounding, properly engineered, Japanese direct drive turntable for about £300, such as a Sony PS 6750 or Kenwood KD 990 (but lots and lots of other models to choose from), a half decent MC cartridge, such as an Ortofon Rondo Red for £300 (again plenty of choice), a really nice classic integrated amp with an MC cartridge phono section for £300 to £400, such as a Sony TAF 770ES or a Sansui AU 9500 and either keep your Missions or try something like Goodmans Magisters for £150.

With my recommended approach with each purchase, you should expect it to sound better than what you've already got and better than anything you could buy from your dealers for an equivalent price. If it doesn't you'd have the option to sell it on for about the same price you bought it for.

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Agree with the others - RP3/Elys 2 or Project Debut Carbon Esprit and Brio-R. Hard to beat as a vinyl set-up.

Isn't the RP3 double the price of the Pro-ject D Carbon Espirit?

I'm seriously looking at the Pro-ject D Carbon Esp too, 2m red cart, arcylic platter, I'm just looking at how I can get my vinyls. Might be worth spending a whole day or 2 when I visit London in Nov to go 2nd hand vinyl shopping.

Personally if your old turntable is serviceable I would keep it. Replace the drive-belt and get a decent cartridge for it.

Forget the 2m Reds and the Elys cartridges and go for something like the Nagaoka MP200 then spend the remainder on amp / speakers.

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I have a Project Debut II with Ortofon OMB 5E

Technics SU-VZ220 integrated amp

Mission 760i bookshelf speakers

I guess the real question is, would a rega RP3 and rega brio r be a material improvement over what I already have?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
boshk said:
matthewpiano said:
Agree with the others - RP3/Elys 2 or Project Debut Carbon Esprit and Brio-R. Hard to beat as a vinyl set-up.

Isn't the RP3 double the price of the Pro-ject D Carbon Espirit?

I'm seriously looking at the Pro-ject D Carbon Esp too, 2m red cart, arcylic platter, I'm just looking at how I can get my vinyls. Might be worth spending a whole day or 2 when I visit London in Nov to go 2nd hand vinyl shopping.

The rp3 was around £475 ex. cart. the Project Carbon Esprit is about £425. You can get b grade rp3 for £349 ex cart.

JonB1001 said:

I guess the real question is, would a rega RP3 and rega brio r be a material improvement over what I already have?

The simple answer is YES, that is assuming you also replace the Ortofon which is probably past it by now if it has been on the TT from new.

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
JonB1001 said:

The simple answer is YES, that is assuming you also replace the Ortofon which is probably past it by now if it has been on the TT from new.

No, the Ortfofon is new - I changed that last year.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
JonB1001 said:

Regarding the Rega Brio R I would say yes! But nothing like doing a demo in a Hi-Fi shop and hear for yourself, better even, take the Brio R for a home demo if they let you!

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

First of all, thanks for all your thoughts. I went to guildford today and tested a bunch of different TTs and amps at Sevenoaks and PJs. Ended up with Rega 3 with Ortofon 2M Red and Brio R amp. The sound is amazing, even through my old Mission 760i's. I can also recommend PJs for service. They really took their time to go through everything - and they even accomodated my wife and 2 kids in the cinema room for half an hour which left me in peace to test stuff. Now to save up for new speakers!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Man that was fast...*wink*

glad we could help, and as you heard the Brio R ans RP3 is a killer combo for vinyl playback!

enjoy your system! *yahoo*

Just out of curiosity, what were the speakers you demo with the Brio R?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
JonB1001 said:
Hi all,

First of all, thanks for all your thoughts. I went to guildford today and tested a bunch of different TTs and amps at Sevenoaks and PJs. Ended up with Rega 3 with Ortofon 2M Red and Brio R amp. The sound is amazing, even through my old Mission 760i's. I can also recommend PJs for service. They really took their time to go through everything - and they even accomodated my wife and 2 kids in the cinema room for half an hour which left me in peace to test stuff. Now to save up for new speakers!

Nicely done, big *good* to PJ for being so helpfull.

TRENDING THREADS