Hi! I'm very new to hi-fi speakers and looking for your advices on captioned item. I am an in-ear headphone user and don't own any speakers yet. Had IE60 for a few years and just changed to SE535(red) which I am happy with its performance especially on vocal.

I've tried LS50 at KEF store and was impressed (I forgot the source/amplifier brand). I'd like to purchase this pair as my entry-level hi-fi speaker but have no idea which amplifier (and other devices, if needed) I should go for. In more details:

- Music source: Paid Spotify (most of time) + a few CDs

- Genre: pop, jazz, classic

- Budget: GBP 500 ~ 1k (I'd like to test my real interest on hi-fi instead of investing too much)

- I've tried several lifestyle speakers (zeppelin, B&O A6/A9, etc.) and was only happy with A9

Appreciate your guidance on choosing the right products. Even better if you can let me know the reason behind which will be really helpful for beginner.

Thank you.

yuan wang said:
Hi! I'm very new to hi-fi speakers and looking for your advices on captioned item. I am an in-ear headphone user and don't own any speakers yet. Had IE60 for a few years and just changed to SE535(red) which I am happy with its performance especially on vocal.

I've tried LS50 at KEF store and was impressed (I forgot the source/amplifier brand). I'd like to purchase this pair as my entry-level hi-fi speaker but have no idea which amplifier (and other devices, if needed) I should go for. In more details:

- Budget: GBP 500 ~ 1k (I'd like to test my real interest on hi-fi instead of investing too much)

- I've tried several lifestyle speakers (zeppelin, B&O A6/A9, etc.) and was only happy with A9

Appreciate your guidance on choosing the right products. Even better if you can let me know the reason behind which will be really helpful for beginner.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

You mention music source as Spotify but played through what exactly? For example if it's a laptop you may require an amp with inbuilt DAC for better quality. This might determine which amp can be recommended.

Something like the Quad Vena for example.

Thanks!

Normally I'll use iPhone 6s and sometimes through ASUS ROC Laptop. I prefer wireless but if it will impact sound I'm fine with cable connection. That leads to another question - is it necessary to buy another device just for streaming or storing soundtracks?

Apart from your recommendation may I know your view on Naim 5SI & XS2? Just from look & brand these 2 are preferred for now.

Thank you.

Geezee

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
If you like LS50s (i thought they lack bass) try the NAD 7050D. You must check out the onilne deal at Sevenoakes Hifi its a steal!

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
You can stream directly to them from your iphone, you don't need anything else. as they have amos built in. They're particularly good with classical music, at least, they were to my ears.

avole said:
You can stream directly to them from your iphone, you don't need anything else. as they have amos built in. They're particularly good with classical music, at least, they were to my ears.

Perhaps it would be best to 're-read the original post. He's asking about amplifiers.

Having said that his last sentence does leave it a bit open, apologies.

Whatever, suggesting speakers he may not be able to audition is not exactly helpful.

Al ears said:
avole said:

Perhaps it would be best to 're-read the original post. He's asking about amplifiers.

Whatever, suggesting speakers he may not be able to audition is not exactly helpful.

Thanks all your suggestions.

@AI ears apologies, for my last sentence in original post my intention was to share more reference on "how I feel" as it's a bit hard for me to describe the sound I want. I've already decided not to go for lifestyle speakers.

So let's make it simple - could you please advise amplifier choices for LS50?

Thanks!

yuan wang said:

Thank you.

I would suggest you try and listen to other speakers. A while back I had the LS50s on home dem and they very good, however they do need really good quality amplification to make the most of them. So your top end of your budget is a minimum requirement for the Kefs.

As Al has suggested the Quad Vena could be a good choice, as would Marantz 610.

Other speakers:

Q Acoustics 2020i or if budget allows Concept 20s with either the above amps. The Dynaudio M series and Kef R100s are also worth considering.

Whatever combo you choose, a shop dem is a minimum requirement, better a home dem.

Bear in mind that synergy is king, not star ratings.

Good luck.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
avole said:

It is you who failed to read the original post, mon ami!

Also, why do you think Dynaudio speakers would be hard to audition? Thay have lots of dealers.

I'm afraid posts like your, attcking other poster for no evident reason, are unhelpful.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As well as the Quad Vena, do try the new Cyrus One - I feel it works very well with the LS50s. The Rega Elex-R is a cracking amp for the money too, and the Arcam A29 shouldn't be overlooked.

avole said:
Al ears said:
avole said:

It is you who failed to read the original post, mon ami!

Also, why do you think Dynaudio speakers would be hard to audition? Thay have lots of dealers.

I'm afraid posts like your, attcking other poster for no evident reason, are unhelpful.

It wasn't an attack but a clear statement of fact. He says he's getting the LS50's and is looking for an amp.

Whilst Dynaudio may have lots of dealers we don't even know where the OP is living, it may well be Outer Mongolia.

Thanks for all recommendations. I'll try to have a shop demo.

Compare to all mentioned amps, any idea on Naim 5SI/XI2 for LS50? It is a bit over budget but I'm fine with secondhand.

Also is it wise to consider the to-be-launched Uniti series (entry level model), in terms of cost/performance?

rainsoothe

Hi. I haven't heard the kefs, but some say they can sound bright. If that's the case, I'd stay clear of the XS2. But they should work well with Unitiqute 2 or first gen Nait XS. Also try them with Arcam and Nad.

But whatever you do, try to audition.

TRENDING THREADS