Recommend me a speaker cable for my Monitor Audio BX5s

tahaa7

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I have Monitor Audio BX5 speakers in combination with Marantz CD6004 player and a Yamaha amp. I am looking for an upgrade to my current QED speaker cable. Can anyone recommend me a cable that wouldn't be an overkill for my current system. I find QED somewhat short in bass power.

Thanks.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
If you chose to go down the Audioquest flxp path, and you chose to bi-wire, plus you wish to augment the bass further (and don't mind double the cost!), then don't choose the Audioquest flxp 4X14 bi-wire option, but get two sets of Audioquest flxp 4X14 single-cable.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
I would not bother with biwiring,waste of money.

I have found quite the contrary. Perhaps some systems benefit more than others? - my last system really gained in depth and bass if bi-wired. If your system likes bi-wiring and/or you notice the difference, it is definitely worth it. If not, and/or you don't, it is a waste of money.

gasolin

Try moving you speakers closer to the wall or a corner it will give a bit more bas or alot about 6 db in a corner or more.

Shure it's the cable and not the positining of the speakers or the amplifier?

Topcat3115

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
QED 79 strand Bi wired will let the MA's sing...Bi-wiring is the only way to get the best from your speakers ....Manufacturers don't put the lugs on the back to look pretty.. they will sound more open and the sound staging amazing on the BX5'S..

Topcat3115

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
QED 79 strand Bi wired will let the MA's sing...Bi-wiring is the only way to get the best from your speakers ....Manufacturers don't put the lugs on the back to look pretty.. they will sound more open and the sound staging amazing on the BX5'S..

abacus

Just go for a multi-strand cable made of OFC and at least 2.5mm sq., forget fancy names as like most things in life you pay for the brand name when in reality it’s no different to own brand products.

The separate lugs for the LPF & HPF are primarily for bi-amping, not bi-wiring.

Bi-amping isolates the HPF from the LPF thus removing any possible interference between the two.

Bi-Wiring is not recommended as it adds the resistance of the speaker cable between the HPF & LPF which theoretically can cause unpredictable results. (Remember most manufactures design there filters with a zero resistance between the LPF & HPF in mind (Hence they put the bridges on the speaker not at the amp end)

If you can I always recommend a controlled blind test at a dealer to see if you can hear any difference. (Remember it’s your children’s inheritance you are spending so don’t waste it)

Hope this helps

Bill

gasolin

From the whathifi review of the Monitor Audio BX2

Bi-wiring is another matter: we found that although the soundstage was a touch more open, it also became disorganized and the speakers lost confidence and precision. We preferred the single-wired listening experience.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Topcat3115 said:
....Manufacturers don't put the lugs on the back to look pretty..

Arguably they are there for bi-amping rather than biwiring. From my experience biwiring adds little, but YMMV and I've never compared bi vs single on the BX5s.

From what I've heard of the BX5s I'd put the thickest van damme or copper cabling it will take. With components at those prices I'd be wary of spending too much on fancy cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts