Recommend me a new 42” to 46” TV.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I am in the market for a new 42” to 46” TV with an upper budget of £1500. Looking at recent reviews, I think I have narrowed things down to a Panasonic TX-P42GT60B (the current WHF choice), a Samsung UE46F7000 or Samsung UE46F8000 (both of which have also had good reviews). Does anybody have comments on any of them as a result of actually owning one or does anybody have any alternative suggestions (again, borne out of practical experience).

In terms of spec, I have simple tastes and do not particularly want ‘Smart TV’ functions nor 3D capability but would look for the best picture for the money. I do however appreciate that nowadays that probably means getting a Smart and 3D enabled TV, hence the shortlist above. Both Freeview and Freesat tuners would be nice but, again are not essential as STBs usually take care of the TV content as well as the catch up stuff.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
After personal experience of 2 'failed' Panasonic Plasma's in 2 years (GT30 and GT50) I'd go down the Samsung route

John Lewis is the place to buy, given the 5 year warranty and either of these guys are probably the best to get a John Lewis price match with:

www.totaldigital.biz

www.bennettsonline.co.uk

Both have the F7000 and F8000 at significantly reduced prices than JL's website currently has!

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Personally, as a proud owner of the 46 F8000, I'd go down the Samsung route having previously owned 2 x dodgy GT50s. As MrW mentions, JL are the retailer to go with as any problem, no matter how small, is an automatic like for like exchange within the first 28 days.

As you already have a 42" plasma it makes sense to go 46", especially with the F8000 which has a tiny bezel and may actually take up less space than your current TV.

Finally do you really want to get a new TV now as CES 2014 is coming up, new models will be announced and current ranges might be discounted from after Christmas. My advice is to wait a few months and get a top of the range TV at a bargin price!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
ianr23gp said:
Finally do you really want to get a new TV now as CES 2014 is coming up, new models will be announced and current ranges might be discounted from after Christmas. My advice is to wait a few months and get a top of the range TV at a bargin price!

I strongly disagree with that statement, why shouldn't he get a new tv before christmas and long should he wait ??? untill may, june ???

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Simon on this one...

You could end up waiting forever!

The only way you could try and limit the damage is to get a price match from John Lewis now, you then have 28 days in which to purchase the TV.

If you can hold out until the 1st December, buy it at the price match price, and then await delivery.... You then have a further 28 days after delivery in which to claim a price match, so if it dramatically drops in price in the 'January Sales' that start on the 26th December, then you can go back to JL.

A fair amount of hassle I'll admit, but at least this way you give yourself a fighting chance!

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Having had the Samsung UE46F8000 for a short while I'd say it is definitely a good investment. After returning 1 LG and 3 Panasonics with backlight/clouding issues this tv came as a big relief. Excellent picture quality, and superb value when price matched at JL.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice thus far. On price, both Samsungs are considerably cheaper from Totaldigital (for which, thanks MrW) but I suspect JL will weasel out by arguing that it's not 'like for like' on the basis that Totaldigital only give a 1 year warranty compared to their 5. That said, the idea of buying on, say, 1 December and 'price match', in the sales does have it's attractions - it had never really occurred to me to do that before and I wonder whether JL would honour the refund of any price reduction come the sales. I also wonder how JL would treat the current offer of £150 cash back (with conditions) within the 'Never Knowingly Undersold' policy. I guess there is only one way to find out..........

I think I am now settling on the Samsung UE46F8000 BUT should still appreciate any advice on whether I can get equal picture quality without having to buy the Smart and 3D capabilities at the same time (which, as said above, I can do without).

Again, thanks.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi there. In terms of other tvs without 3d there arent any highend tvs which lack this but you do have the panasonic 42e6b and the sony 42w653. They are lower end models but offer good black levels due the use of VA panels. Theu both focus on picture quality despite thier price due to the lack of gimmicky 3d. hope that helps

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I've got a price match confirmed on a 55F7000, and the Samsung Cash Back deal is with Samsung themselves, so it's not affected (the biggest issue is that you have to buy something else with a Samsung logo on it)

The 5 year warranty is a USP from JL, so you need not worry about that

nufcmarson

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I bought the Sony 42w653 for the bedroom and so far it has exceeded all expectations. John Lewis price matched it so I ended up paying £430 which is an unbelievable bargain. Blacks are excellent for a non-plasma, picture looks fantastic when tweaked in the settings. Only downside like many of the current thin tv sets is the sound. Nothing a decent soundboard won't sort out though!

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
You can disagree all you want, I just wanted to present a balanced argument :)

New models are due in the next few months so I didn't want the OP to pay out a lot of money and then be annoyed when they start to get discounted in the New Year. I can still see see your point though as when you want to buy, it is very difficult to wait! With a JL price and if you have the budget now, go for it. The 46 F8000 is a fantastic TV if you can get a good one... the infamous panel lottery which is the same for all manufacturers.

Can you get a similiar picture without the smart / 3D functionality... not as far as I know. Obviously, the higher spec'd models have the best in class picture and the lower down you go (less features) you'll notice the difference and only regret it in the long run!

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I finally decided on the Samsung UE46F8000 and it is being delivered by John Lewis today. I have said more in the thread dedicated to the F8000 elsewhere in this forum (http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/samsung-ue46f8000?page=4#comment-2906116) and would intend reporting further idc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts