Readers’ Award 2023: Cambridge Audio MXN10 raises the budget streamer bar

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
WHF Awards so very much off the mark as usual, it reminds me of network of friends coming together and patting each other on the back.
We have you covered old boy, yes spiffing good, I need to dip my cigar in the brandy, could you point me in the right direction,....Cha.....Ching!

It's not to say some of the candidates don't deserve the awards but it seems certain if you are in the club or in the circle of WHF friends, you will do well.

I keep ranting on about this but I do genuinely feel WHF isn't in step with the industry, I dunno, is it apathy, to lazy to look around or perhaps it's best to snuggle up with the Devil you know than the deep blue sea?

Just to point out £400-£500 for the Cambridge Audio MXN10 isn't BUDGET by any stretch of the imagination.

No ifs No Buts, So as your benevolent dictator of Little Briton; I have decreed that the honour should go to the fresh upstart, WiiM Pro Plus for ONLY two hundred and nineteen pounds!!!
Hard slam of sweaty palms and fists on the rustic oak table, the regular folk at the Tavern raise their mugs of warm ale up in the air, Amy the busty barmaid lands a kiss on my forehead; Oh Arrr, woo woo woo!!! ;)

(y) Sorry I need to take my medication.

NOT THE WHAT HI*FI? AWARDS WINNER: WiiM Pro Plus Music Streamer £219

Also:
Best Streamer / DAC < £1000 EVERSOLO DMP-A6
Best Streamer / DAC > £1000 ROSE RS150B

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I don’t think you can fairly criticise the magazine for reporting what the readers voted for!
Perhaps I've been a bit disingenuous for not mentioning the reader's choice but it is essentially about coverage and what their readers take in from the magazine. If you're going review a certain product most of the time with the exclusion of others, of course the readers who have entered the WHF Boutique will pick the dress that's hanging from the peg, rather than the one the other stalls are displaying.

Yes there is free will but it's also about perception that drives the reader to make the desired selection.

Last edited:
Perhaps I've been a bit disingenuous for not mentioning the reader's choice but it is essentially about coverage and what their readers take in from the magazine. If you're going review a certain product most of the time with the exclusion of others, of course the readers who have entered the WHF Boutique will pick the dress that's hanging from the peg, rather than the one the other stalls are displaying.

Yes there is free will but it's also about perception that drives the reader to make the desired selection.
Unfortunately the selection is pre-ordained, so you get to choose from various TV, streaming speaker, and tablet types as well as a hifi speaker, streamer, etc. Unfortunately I can’t see the whole list though I did vote. Personally, I ignore the tellies and vote for a Hifi item.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
The list does seem to represent the products reviewed by WHF that makes sense.
You're right it is predetermined and readers given the opportunity to vote from that list.
It's like a symbiosis, suppliers give up their products for review and they'll get the chance to be nominated for product of the year. If they hit the jackpot, they'll receive the much coveted WHF Award.
I get it, not reflective of what's really out there but it's pointless to criticise unless someone can come up with a better way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts