Re-using Sony DAV-S800 speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Unfortunately, the head unit on my old Sony DAV-S800 all-in-one HTK has ceased to function, which prompted me to ask the question - would these speakers work in conjunction with a new reciever, say a Yamaha 763?

Does anybody have any experience with this combo, or a similar one? Or just any experience with re-using old HTK speakers in a new way such as this?

The speakers 6 ohm, whilst the amp would desire speakers that are 8 ohm, is this an issue?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You should be fine running those speakers with the Yamaha - many modern speakers are actually 6ohm impedance, and anyway the figure is only a nominal one, and alters to varying degrees with frequency.

But you will have to buy an active subwoofer - the one used with the Sony is a passive design, and the Yamaha is designed to be used with an active one, having its own amplification built-in.

Don't be tempted to try connecting the Sony system sub to the Yamaha - its impedance is only 3ohms, and this will almost certainly trigger the Yamaha's protection circuitry and cause the amp to shut down to avoid damage to itself.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, it's great to get the opinion of a pro!

Are there any recievers out at the moment that would be happy driving a passive sub woofer? And would you say the speakers would be any good - could you make an educated guess as to whether they would like a mellow reciever or one with a bit more energy? My room is only 4m x 3m. Roughly 7 years ago when I bought the sony system it was the best home cinema (all-in-one) available, but obviously things move fast in the world of AV!

Really appreciate the help with this, planning to upgrade the speakers at some point.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
kiwi_t_hs_b_dog:Are there any recievers out at the moment that would be happy driving a passive sub woofer?

Not that one, I'm afraid - that very low impedance is going to cause problems with any receiver, I think. And all-in-one systems apart, I don't know of any AV amps or receivers with a dedicated amp channel for a passive sub.

kiwi_t_hs_b_dog:And would you say the
speakers would be any good - could you make an educated guess as to
whether they would like a mellow reciever or one with a bit more energy?

I think a relatively smooth-sounding amp such as the Yamaha will sound OK with them. Not great, but OK. But if you don't run a sub with them they will sound pretty thin - the crossover point on systems such as the Sony is usually fairly high, so the sub does a lot of the low-end work.

kiwi_t_hs_b_dog:Really appreciate the help with this, planning to upgrade the speakers at some point.

Then as a temporary measure I think they'll be fine. Just don't expect miracles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts