Re. Audio Research CD8.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've heard that Audio Research have released(or are about to release) a new CD player,called the CD8.Which will supercede the excellent CD7. Is this true,or just mere rumour-mongering? I don't see anything alluding to the CD8 on Audio Research's own website.

Would be appreciated if any of the WHF? staffers have any inside info. they could divulge.Particularly regarding info. relating to how the CD8 differs from the CD7.

May i take this opportunity to wish a very merry Saturnalia/Winter Solstice to one & all!

Thanks.

BABUR.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chebby,

Had a quick look.Pity there's no technical info. regarding the CD8 on Guildford Audio's website yet.

Guess i'll probably have to wait 'til the New Year.

Cheers anyway mate!

BABUR.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:How much is the 8 gonna be? I love to try a reference 7 but will never ever pay £8K for digital source

$9995 (Canadian)

Goodness knows how much here. The exchange rate is never a reliable guide.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
That reading "at least 10,000 UK Sterling!" Hell no...£10K on CD player is just madness. At least on Speakers you can see where the money spend on (lovely woods, pure silver crossover, Kondo internal wiring etc...) but for a disc spinner???
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

I've heard a cd7,best thing I have ever heard regardless of type or format of source.the 8 must be something special
I'm aiming for a cd5 though,have to be a tiny bit realistic

T

the record spot

chebby:Thaiman:How much is the 8 gonna be? I love to try a reference 7 but will never ever pay £8K for digital source

$9995 (Canadian)

Goodness knows how much here. The exchange rate is never a reliable guide.

Yes it is mate, all you do is remove the dollar sign and replace it with the pound one instead!

OK, I promise to stop being so cynical for Christmas.....
emotion-2.gif

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

Well,the CD7 i demoed recently,was going for £7,000 SRP...Provided i purchased it before the turn of the year.When these imported,well regarded high-end players are due to have their SRP's increased to around the £9,000 mark!

I've occasionally had second thoughts about blowing similar amounts of money on other source components before.But the CD7's naturally rounded,musically organic red-book CD performance at the front-end of a sympathetic,high level system is simply breathtaking.I'm certain that i could easily live with this player for the rest of my days...The only problem i see being one of spending enough to ensure the rest of the system is up to scratch & capable of extracting every ounce of potential performance from the CD7.

Of the players i've heard,perhaps only the Chord Electronics Red Reference,Esoteric X-01D2 & Nagra CDP can beat it for detail,timing & transparency.However,none of them can quite match the CD7's combination of ethereally open,expansive & naturally smooth,warm sound.Making it disturbingly easy to savour it's beguiling talents for hours on end....The absolute opposite of over-analytical,clinical or fatiguing.

And when compared to the Chord & Esoteric in particular(which cost significantly more),the CD7 comes off looking - & sounding - all the better...in my humble opinion.

BABUR.

A

Anonymous

You need to hear a 555 Thaiman !...Although obviously a much different presentation than a Marantz....
Thaiman:...lovely woods, pure silver crossover, Kondo internal wiring etc...

Talking of which, I seem to remember you LOVED the Art Emotion you trialled once...?....Well, I was offered a pair of the Signature Silver the other day for a very substantial reduction from the £20k they cost ! They're not for me, but I can put you in touch if you really want to succumb....?!

A

Anonymous

....Might cost you about £15k to ship the 100Kg to the UK though..!!
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

Btw, if anyone is interested I am selling my CD7 so that I can fund the CD8 :)

It is only 4 months old and in as new condition and was purchased from a UK dealer - full references and details can be provided just let me know.

Cheers

Marc

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
SC:
You need to hear a 555 Thaiman !...Although obviously a much different presentation than a Marantz....

Thaiman:
...lovely woods, pure silver crossover, Kondo internal wiring etc...

Talking of which, I seem to remember you LOVED the Art Emotion you trialled once...?....Well, I was offered a pair of the Signature Silver the other day for a very substantial reduction from the £20k they cost ! They're not for me, but I can put you in touch if you really want to succumb....?!

LOVED?? I thought that is for past tence! I still love my ART Emotion Signature, they will be with me for long long time yet.

A

Anonymous

Audio Research CD8

Philips PRO2R playback mechanism
DAC: 24 bit, 192 kHz
New power supply
New output coupling capacitors
New damping adjustments
Tubes: (1) 6550C, (5) 6H30

...approx 9995 $...but some unofficial information is that Audio Research isn't going to display CD8 on CES 'cause upgraded CD7 is better than CD8. Hmmm.....??? What's the point???

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:SC: You need to hear a 555 Thaiman !...Although obviously a much different presentation than a Marantz....
Thaiman:...lovely woods, pure silver crossover, Kondo internal wiring etc...

LOVED??ÿ I thought that is for past tence!ÿ I still love my ART Emotion Signature, they will be with me for long long time yet.ÿ

What happened to the golf clubs?

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts