RCA phono or optical digital?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Bear with me: not as straight forward as this sounds!

I currently have the DVD player connected to the TV via HDMI lead, and then have bog standard phonos running from TV into the hifi so I get a decent sound. Would it be better to upgrade the phonos, or run an optical digital cable direct from the DVD player to the hifi system?

Any recommendations on cables would be welcome.

Thanks

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
spottedcatfish:
Bear with me: not as straight forward as this sounds!

I currently have the DVD player connected to the TV via HDMI lead, and then have bog standard phonos running from TV into the hifi so I get a decent sound. Would it be better to upgrade the phonos, or run an optical digital cable direct from the DVD player to the hifi system?

Any recommendations on cables would be welcome.

Thanks

What is your amplification?
If it is a model with optical digital in, it will almost certainly be better sound than running phonos from a TV's analogue out.

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

Ah , it's only mini hifi: onkyo cs-515 with cambridge audio s30 speakers, but it does have an optical digital in. I had a feeling going the digital route would be better, but by how much? Would the extra expence justify the extra performance? Can you tell I'm careful with my money... :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
spottedcatfish:
Thanks.

Ah , it's only mini hifi: onkyo cs-515 with cambridge audio s30 speakers, but it does have an optical digital in. I had a feeling going the digital route would be better, but by how much? Would the extra expence justify the extra performance? Can you tell I'm careful with my money... :)

You can get a perfectly good optical digital lead for under a tenner.

(You can get one for £3, but I would go with a better made one)...

here....Optical lead

...Even routing an analogue cable from the DVD to the Onkyo will beat the TV output...assuming it has spare inputs... but if it has optical digi in, I'd go that route.

A

Anonymous

Lovely, I'll give your recommendation a try.

Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts