RB300 setup

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
HI all

Being fairlly new to hifi i have now been introdused to the world of tonearm setup, and regas bit of paper that comes with the RB300 is usless. The anti-skating adjuster,is it the slidder or numbered dial,and when i know what that is what is the other one then????,becouse one is messing something up

The tracking force for my dinovector is 1.8g to 2.2g (which i imagine is the weight of the needle in the record groove? ) but when this is set the rear of the cartgidge shasis touches the vinal !! so obviously getting something wrong. As a note the arm needs a shim to raise it about 3mm,but shurly this cant be the problem ???

any help please
emotion-9.gif

oh yeh its a michell gyrose

John Duncan

The slider is the anti-skate, and the dial is tracking weight. And they should both be set to the same value, approximately.

Did you balance the cartridge (using the counterweight at the back) so that the arm floats free, before setting the tracking weight?

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi,i'm using a shure force gauge for setting counter weight (mini scale measuring directly off needle). I'm setting both the slidder and numberd dial (small horizontal ) to zero ,then using the shure gauge i move the large counterweigt till theforce is set to 2 grams. then i set te slider and side dial to 1.8(antiscating).

so is what i'm getting wrong is the side diel adds weight to the cartgidge and has nothing to do with skating ???

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Erm, rather sir! The side dial does indeed add weight, so I'm guessing that you are currently tracking at 3.8g!

As John says, the weight at the back is only used for balance on the RB300 (unlike the 250 where it performs both balance and tracking weight) and the spring dial is used for downforce. This means that in theory, you do not need a stylus weight gauge to set up an RB300 as the side dial is calibrated.

Although some believe that the spring-thing does nothing for sound quality, and use the weight to set the tracking force (keeping the side dial set to zero...). Personally, I would do as Rega say - they have been making turntables for a little while now so should know what they are talking about!

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have Rega 2. This does not have the the calibrated weight so I used a stylus scale to determine the tracking weight. I then did what Rega said and set the anti-skate slider to match the tracking force. Records would more than occasional jump. Then I found a Shure turntable set up LP in charity shop. This has a anti-skating track which you can use to set up the anti-skate slider, which turned out to be quite a bit different from the Rega set up. I haven't had a jump since (I had also checked prior to this that the deck was level). It also showed that my new Marantz amp's balance was not dead central. Definitely, worth getting hold of one of these LPs if you can. Having said all this Regas are fantastic decks - I hardly listened to any CDs.

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
THanx all for the advice, got it sorted now. Tracking force was being applied twice
emotion-42.gif
. Just waiting for an adjustable shim to turn up for arm height them then finall setup tinker...

TRENDING THREADS