Radio receiver

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have a NAD 316 amp, Rega TT and a Denon CD playing through some vintage Wharefdales. I would like to be able to listen to the radio through this setup - specifically Radio 3, ClassicFM and Test Match Special. Is it possible to get recievers now a days, or are they all AV receivers ? I don't want to spend much, just get something I can plug into my existsing systems and listen to - 2nd hand would be OK, but I get very quickly lost on ebay.

Would I be looking for DAB radio receivers or LW/MW/FM ?

Thanks

Andrew

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I guess my ignorance is showing, I had persumed I wanted a radio reciever, when you are right, I want a tuner. *yes3*

So, same question but a tuner not a receiver - what are my options

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I use a virgin box to listen to radio, fine if you can remember the channel numbers but a pain if you 'get lost' and have to switch on the TV.

Separate FM/Dab tuners are pretty rare and often not cheap, a vintage FM tuner would work for the music but 5 live extra is exclusively digital and Radio 5 requires medium wave.

Of course a phone can be used for internet radio but quality for classical stations is often limited, network receivers like the Yamaha RN301 does everything, well apart from Dab, but you can get Radio 5 etc on internet radio.

This does mean you will need to connect to a computer network though. Mixing old and new technology can be a real faf.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Richer Sounds have a dab/fm tuner(onkyo) for £200.

As a left field idea there is a Roberts dab/fm portable radio that has a stereo out for £160, so you could use it to feed your amp or for mobile use.

matthewpiano

Cheapest decent option would be a 2nd hand Denon TU260L. No DAB, but good FM sound if you use a decent aerial. Otherwise some of the old Sony DAB tuners were good and you should be able to find a 2nd hand one.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure MP is right about the denon he recommends, but be careful re the denon tu 1800 (or similar name) dab tuner. I had it a few years back and took it back after being annoyed by periodic signal dropout. Searching hifi forums showed I wasn't the only one to have this issue, a shame because it sounded good.

TrevC

cisamcgu said:
Wouldn't a sky box require a television screen to be able to change stations ?

My HiFi is in a different room than the television

I quite often put mine on without turning the TV on . As long as you press the right channel number it works fine.

matthewpiano

slice said:
I'm sure MP is right about the denon he recommends, but be careful re the denon tu 1800 (or similar name) dab tuner. I had it a few years back and took it back after being annoyed by periodic signal dropout. Searching hifi forums showed I wasn't the only one to have this issue, a shame because it sounded good.
Yes, do be wary about the TU1800DAB. A totally different animal to the classic TU260L and with a different reputation for reliability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts