(Rackmounted) pro CD player vs HI-FI one?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody,

My CD player is an old Marantz CD5000 and I really need a new one.

I am listening to music with it coupled with 2.1 8" active studio monitors and subwoofer and I love it and I am very happy with it. The room is not musically treated but I am allright with it since the system is only for listening.

Now, I have been looking heavily into CD players for the last couple of weeks and I started gravitating around Cambrdige Audio 650c, 651c and 740c, and Marantz cd-6003, cd-6004. I was ready to go for one of the latter 3 but I suddenly stumbled upon the so called professional rackmounted CD players such as DENON DN-C615, DN-C620, DN-C635, Tascam CD-200 etc. Professional players in the same price range! - so hey why should I pick a hifi player?

I really don't mind their looks. I am only interested in sound quality - like all those qualities that earn the hifi cdplayers reviewed here their high ranks. So what are the pros and cons of the ones over the others for audiophile listening?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would have thought the Studio orientated ones would have been built with reliability (and serviceablity) in mind, and have options like Balanced ouptuts, RS-232 ports and the like with other features such as Pitch control, fade etc.

Other than that, not sure why they would be any difference.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I have a nagging suspicion that because they are made for broadcasting, say in audio halls, radio etc., the sound quality will be low when listened to directly from your home speakers/monitors.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would have thought it would be fine. You might have trouble getting a demo of one though.

Tascam are very highly rated in the Professional world, also part of the same company as Teac who have always been very good at CD Transports.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts