Question for QuadPatch

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Howdo Mate,

I have a quick question for you.....I have just bought an iDevice compatable Centrance HiFi M8 with the XLR output to be used with my iDevices (iPod, iPad & iPod Touch) and my DreamEarz AUD-8X CIEM's.

I am looking to get a new set of Headphones to also use with this (eventually via the XLR Balanced Output) and wondered if you can comment on my choices....

Having previously sold my HD650 I am seriously looking to get another pair of these along with a Toxic Cables Viper Cable terminated to the 4 pin XLR. However I do have a couple of other options both of which you have reviewed including the HiFiMan HE-400 and the Mr Speaker Alpha Dogs.

Can you comment on how these compare to the HD650 and whether I would gain any major benefits over either of these compared to the HD650.

I was also considering the Fostex TH-600, but unfortunately these are a little pricey for me at the moment.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey Jason,

I'm flattered that you're asking for me still, but you're lucky I saw your question as I haven't been around much lately. Anyway, let me address some of your questions. First of all just to clarify I wonder if you meant the Mad Dog rather than the Alpha Dog. I thought the Alpha was about £500, which seems to put it rather above the others you're talking about. You say that the TH600 is out of your price range, so I guess then so is the HE-500? The only reason I ask is that for me it blew everything else out of the water for around the price and is possibly the only other thing I would say is better value than the HD600/650.

As good as the Alpha / Mad Dogs are I'm swayed by the HE-400 in direct comparison. Although the HE-400 is less neutral it is a lot more fun and relatively controlled while doing so.

I think I am getting rather away from the central point now so I will wait to see what you think of that before answering any more. I hope that helped some.

All the best,

Q

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that Ed,

Too be honest I would be buying second hand rather than new so at the present time depending on what's available in my timescale (which is open) I could actual look at all of the options including at the moment the TH600, HE-500, HE-400 and Alpha Dogs.

Without wanting to start a cable debate, I am a great believer in gaining benefits from cable rolling and also bearing in mind that the HiFi M8 has a 4 pin XLR balnaced connection, that fact that the HE400, HE500 and Alpha Dogs allows for removal and change of the cable is a distinct advantage. The TH600 would need either a hard rewire or modifaction to take mini XLR connections.

I have heard excellent things about the HE500 and so this is now a serious contender for me (im just not sure on the weight of them), however having said that they would only be used at home or the office anyway. The HiFi M8 should also provide enough power to drive these without too many issues.

I have never heard a set of Planar Magnetics so I think these would be a strong contender.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts