Question about media streamers.

aob9

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My Sony BDP-S373 when connected to my network will stream MP3@320kbps, play internet radio stations and will accept MP3@ 320kbps from a USB memory stick. All of this for as little as £100 a few years ago. Oh, it plays DVD, Bluray and CD discs also. SO, why would I pay hundreds more for a current "budget" Denon, Cambridge Audio or Marantz streaming ( e.g CA NP30) unit.? I'm not including the higher end units here as they obviously have superior DACs and better specs ( or do they?).

But as a general, genuine question; apart from a nod to High Res support is there anything to justify spending money on these devices.

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Timely thread.

Apologies for piggybacking on it with a question of my own regarding the Pioneer N50.

Will this streamer work with any streaming service - I'm thinking here of Qobuz which seems to generally be partnerered with Sonus?

Also, can its internal DAC be used as you might use a standalone DAC?

Thanks,

Throppers

aob9

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Your question prompted me to add..............The same Bluray player does indeed have access to Sony's music streaming service which is something else these devices don't provide.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Better DACs? Lossless streaming? Better power supplies and analogue sections? Gapless playback? But they are generally dedicated to stereo playback while it looks like you want to also throw in media capabilities (Bluray/DVD playback, etc.).

aob9

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
But they are generally dedicated to stereo playback while it looks like you want to also throw in media capabilities (Bluray/DVD playback, etc.).

No I don't , I'm simply pointing out these features as a "bonus". I'm wondering if I purchase one of these devices if I will be left standing there feeling like I haven't gained anything from my investment. Particularly given that I'm not too pushed about High Res.

On the face of it I think I might be better off purchasing a DAC and using the BDP as a transport/ streaming interface.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
User interface plays a big part in it for me. Presumably you need your TV or projector switched on to control it, whereas a dedicated streamer will, (usually), have a dedicated visual display, a fully functional graphic remote control, or a snazzy control app for your phone or tablet. Or all three!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts