Question About A 4K tv

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

xXSnowKnightXx

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
It wasn't all smooth sailing though. Like the 84-incher we reviewed last year, the 55X9000A was clearly suffering from moderate motion issues. Fast-moving objects and quick pans showcased these struggles most clearly, but as we were unable to have a look at the TV's settings, it's unclear whether this could be remedied with a bit of tinkering.

do you guys think it will be able to tinker with the motion settings if not i dout ill be geting a tv with motion issue whatever that means

xXSnowKnightXx

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
think im going to bite the bullet and buy the sony 65 4k tv and get the 4k streamer to go with it the only thing that bothers me is that it as motion issues do you think its wise to get a tv with motion issues guys please help :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It's your money so of course buy whatever makes you happy.

I still think it would prudent to wait at least a couple of years before getting swept up by the so-called "4k revolution," which is likely to be any thing but, at least in the near future. 4k is all marketing at the moment; it's part of an endless round of manufacturers introducing new features and facilities to get us to upgrade our televisions with greater frequency.

The probelm is, most of these new features have very limited use at best. You'll find the same is true of 4k; content simply won't be available to make use of your TV's higher resolution.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Here you go guys...

The VT65 is HDTV Test's new reference TV

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p55vt65b-201304212862.htm

That said, it only just gets the nod over the GT60, which probably remains the best value option this year. I'm going VT65, as I want the dual tuners, better sound, improved filter for daytime viewing, and I've agreed a price match with JL. They're calling me tomorrow morning, so it's really a question of how soon they can deliver.

Oh, and it does beat the GT60 for black level performance, though not by a discernible amount (in other words it really doesn't matter). It should hold on to those black levels better in a brighter viewing environment, though.

EDIT: also posted this in the wrong thread... :doh:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
It's your money so of course buy whatever makes you happy.

I still think it would prudent to wait at least a couple of years before getting swept up by the so-called "4k revolution," which is likely to be any thing but, at least in the near future. 4k is all marketing at the moment; it's part of an endless round of manufacturers introducing new features and facilities to get us to upgrade our televisions with greater frequency.

The probelm is, most of these new features have very limited use at best. You'll find the same is true of 4k; content simply won't be available to make use of your TV's higher resolution.

+1

It's your money, but IMO, it's an almost pointless purchase at this time.

xXSnowKnightXx

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
all i have is my LG tv and virgin box and xbox and ps3 on my av set up i dont have any external speakers. i really dont know what to do i love the 4k becuse it can upscale 1080p content so. i really dont know what to do :(. i have the money the new panasonic is tempting me as well. but its plasma and i dont fancy paying a preium for it to get plasma burn

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
just put the cash in a savings account until something is actaully available in 4k. The only thing I can think of readily available would be the odd pc game but you'd need a pretty hefty rig to run it in native 4k.

Early adopters tend to be business trying wow people with tech etc and people developing for it. at the moment you really aren't going to be able to use the full 4k apart from to maybe run the odd tech demo, and by the time anything mainstream starts to come out, the model you have will seem sorely outdated - not really the best use of cash imho...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Nobody's saying don't buy a 4k TV if that's what you really want; we're simply questioing the value in paying a premium for something with little utility right now (or in the near future). Of course it's nobody's business but your own how you spend your money.

Bear in mind that 4k upscaling is not the same as native 4k. You won't see greater detail, as that extra detail isn't in the content in the first place. All the TV will be doing is converting the video to match the TV's native resolution, while trying to suppress picture artifacts. For comparative purposes, look at SD material on a 1080p TV -- it doesn't look as detailed or as stable as native 1080p content. Also bear in mind that the TV will need to perform a serious amount of upscaling with standard definition content.

The usual (and sensible) advice is to audition several potential purchases. Add the two 4k TVs to your shortlist. You might also want to look at newer 1080p LED TVs (such as the Samsung F8000), if you're not keen on plasma (which I can understand if the TV is being used primarily for gaming).

At least you'd be making as informed a decision as possible.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
xXSnowKnightXx said:
the ps4 is ment to have a 4k service on it i cant see them blanking 4k services for the uk

The PS4 will not support 4K in any way as far as i'm aware, there was no mention of 4K support at the launch event and no mention of it since from SCEE or SCEA. Of course the tv will probably upscale the image but that will introduce lag which you are keen to avoid simply because of the processing involved in taking a 720p image (the norm for games at the mo) and upscaling it to 4K. The PS4 should see 1080p become the norm for game resolution but even then the tv will have to upscale the image.

I personally feel 4K tvs will be eclipsed by OLED tvs as this seems like the next big tech simply because of the constraints in getting content in it's native form, personally my money would go elsewhere. As for plasma for gaming...I would be very careful as I have had problems with extreme image retention on Panasonic plasmas and I am in no way a heavy gamer, one instance lead to an image burn (EA logo) which was confirmed by the repair company.

I would stick to LED/LCD for heavy gaming use and look for a set with low lag times but if you were to have a good balance of content then plasma should be considered. Heavy gaming use isn't a problem on Kuro tvs but I can't recommend a more modern day plasma tv where you shouldn't get any issues with until we get some feedback with the new Panasonic plasmas and how they fare in the real world along with the Samsung F8500.

You may be better off holding off on your purchase for a few months when you should have more choice from the 2013 offerings from all the major manufacturers, then if nothing catches your eye go for the Sony 4K tv but getting native content for it could be very difficult indeed unless Sony decide to keep sending out hard drives with content on them.

It would at least be worth contacting Sony to discuss how you could get native 4K content to the tv should you buy one because otherwise all content will have to be upscaled by the tv.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Nobody's saying don't buy a 4k TV if that's what you really want; we're simply questioing the value in paying a premium for something with little utility right now (or in the near future). Of course it's nobody's business but your own how you spend your money.

Bear in mind that 4k upscaling is not the same as native 4k. You won't see greater detail, as that extra detail isn't in the content in the first place. All the TV will be doing is converting the video to match the TV's native resolution, while trying to suppress picture artifacts. For comparative purposes, look at SD material on a 1080p TV -- it doesn't look as detailed or as stable as native 1080p content. Also bear in mind that the TV will need to perform a serious amount of upscaling with standard definition content.

The usual (and sensible) advice is to audition several potential purchases. Add the two 4k TVs to your shortlist. You might also want to look at newer 1080p LED TVs (such as the Samsung F8000), if you're not keen on plasma (which I can understand if the TV is being used primarily for gaming).

At least you'd be making as informed a decision as possible.

+1 good advice strapped.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
strapped for cash said:
Nobody's saying don't buy a 4k TV if that's what you really want;

I was :D

Waste of money at the moment for home use.

My position is pretty straightforward.

I'm not the OP's bank manager/wife/accountant, so it's none of my business what he/she spends their money on. If they want to buy a 4k TV, that's their right.

Would I buy a 4k TV right now? Nope. I can see no advantage in buying a higher resolution TV when there's virtually no content that matches its native resolution, or any sign this situation will change in the next few years. We'll be talking about affordable OLED before we're discussing 4k broadcasting. All OLED needs is viable hardware. 4k demands significant changes to national broadcasting and broadband infrastructure. Under normal economic circumstances this would be a huge ask. In an age of austerity, forget it.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
cheeseboy said:
strapped for cash said:
Nobody's saying don't buy a 4k TV if that's what you really want;

I was :D

Waste of money at the moment for home use.

My position is pretty straightforward.

I'm not the OP's bank manager/wife/accountant, so it's none of my business what he/she spends their money on. If they want to buy a 4k TV, that's their right.

Would I buy a 4k TV right now? Nope. I can see no advantage in buying a higher resolution TV when there's virtually no content that matches its native resolution, or any sign this situation will change in the next few years. We'll be talking about affordable OLED before we're discussing 4k broadcasting. All OLED needs is viable hardware. 4k demands significant changes to national broadcasting and broadband infrastructure. Under normal economic circumstances this would be a huge ask. In an age of austerity, forget it.

can we add to the discussion one about OLED because I'm in the dark as to what that is and how the infrastructure around this technology may differ (or faster to deliver) than around Ultra HD or 4k??

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
xXSnowKnightXx said:
all i have is my LG tv and virgin box and xbox and ps3 on my av set up i dont have any external speakers. i really dont know what to do i love the 4k becuse it can upscale 1080p content so. i really dont know what to do :(. i have the money the new panasonic is tempting me as well. but its plasma and i dont fancy paying a preium for it to get plasma burn
Do yourself a favour and spend a few k on some speakers and an avr....if you like roleplay games then a half decent surround sound will blow you away:)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
daveh75 said:
No. Not for 4k content. Given the human eye can't discern difference between HD and U-HDTV resolutions at domestic screen sizes.

Says who? Saw 4k content at the Bristol Hi-fi show and the difference is very noticable.

Hello The_Lhc,

What sizes of screeens had they at the Bristol Hi-Fi show?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts