Quest for Neutral

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My gear as follows, NAD C352 amp, NAD C542 CD player, speakers B&W 685 speakers.

I recently posted a thread about the same gear but with the baby 686 speakers. I decided to sell them and try the larger 685's instead.

First the positives, sound stage is absolutely huge and the detail is staggering compared to what i have heard before. I now have what i term the 3d wall, which i havent heard that often certainly never in a hi-fi shop on a demo.

The problem is that half my CD's either sound amazing or terrible! Recordings like Amy Winehouse which can sound a bit hard and edgy are refined and balanced and so amazing. Other stuff thats sounds good are as follows - Corinne Bailey Rae - First album Paul McCartney - First solo album Mcartney Tracey Chapman - Let it Rain Lloyd Cole - Anti Depresent These all sound nicely balanced between sounding warm, but also some weight and a crisp edge to the sound

However on a lot of rock/indie stuff like Cast, The Charlatans,Oasis etc it sounds like the band are playing an acoustic set! The soundstage and detail are still there but every is too smoothed out and the treble loses all its crispness and its too warm. The Bass is also loose and soft/muddy - a sound a really despise! I am really want the sound to harden up and get crisper,
It seems like getting the balance right on speakers with different recordings is like ironing the crease in your shirt, you iron out one crease and then turn over the sleeve and you have created another the otherside, where before it was smooth! Some recordings that didnt sound great before sound good now, and others that did dont sound as good!

Is it that a really good system is just showing up all the poor recordings? Or is possible to balance the sound to neutral to attain a more even balance?

Before i started faffing around changing my hi-fi gear I had a pair of older Castle Durahm speakers dating from about 1989. Even though they were a fairly big speaker about 40-44 cm high there was no attempt to accentuate the bass and although it could so a bit flat at times overall it sounded more natural.

So are there speakers out there that wont try and smooth things over too much? All the ones i have tried under £ 400 seem to do that.

I want a balance between my old Castles and the B&W's so that i can play all of my CD's!

Where as most people seem to want to dampen down the treble because its too hard my system is the opposite and I want some edge!

btw the way I use silver anniversary speaker cable and qed connects tried all the faffing trying different cables never heard any diference so please nothing on cables and connects.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
What you're experiencing with the speaker upgrade is hearing more of what your electronics are capable of - for better or worse!

Did you try a heavier pair of stands when you bought the 685s? As mentioned in the previous threads, a heftier pair than your Apollos could really help firm up that bass.

On a related support note, what's your racking like? Proper isolation can really tighten up your sound, too.

Sorry to keep plugging away at the accessories route, but you've got good components and are so happy with so many elements of your system that I believe it's worth leaving major changes until after you've tried some simpler tweaks.

A

Anonymous

I havent tried that. My stands are the fully welded Apollo ones I cant remember how much they cost but they were not the entry level ones. They have little rubber mounts on the top plate for the speaker to sit on. So if i were to chnage the speaker stand what would you suggest I switch to? To be honest filled with sand they a pretty heavy.

My rack is an old black Apollo 2 shelf affair. Got the CD player on the bottom shelf with my amp directly on top of it and then on the top shelf my turntable. The rack of course has spiked feet.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="starshaped69"]
Got the CD player on the bottom shelf with my amp directly on top of it

[/quote]

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do me (but even more, yourself) a big favour - just try temporarily unplugging your turntable and place the CD player separately on the other shelf. Just to hear the difference. Please?
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts