Quad Vena.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Anyone 'out there' actually using one? Do you like it? Have you had any problems with it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

It has two optical inputs and built in Bluetooth so that appeals to me*. One optical for sound from the TV and one more for an Apple TV connection. (For AirPlay.)

* Even though I use AirPlay all the time, I have friends and some family who only have the Bluetooth option on their smart phones / tablets / laptops.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Of course Marantz are launching the M-CR611 in August (£499 initially) and this latest M-CR6nn version will have two optical connections and Bluetooth added to it's feature list.

(Although - because it already has built-in AirPlay - the extra optical connection is not essential like it would be on the Vena.)

The new M-CR611 looks like the ugliest of the M-CR6nn series so far and it's all plastic :-( (I still prefer the look of my 'original' M-CR603)

A

Anderson

I remember looking at it online a few months ago, I had to email quad because their site was so awful and wouldn't work properly, someone called Claire responded but ultimately didn't help lol

matthewpiano

Apart from the mood lighting on the front panel, the MCR611 looks just like the 610 to me. The 610 doesn't look quite as nice as the 603 I agree, but the performance and features are excellent. Having said that, the Yamaha CRX-N560D is every bit as good, and has a higher quality feel too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have - almost - talked myself into the Quad Vena (with the red wood jacket and an Apple TV for AirPlay).

It tops out at £758. (With fancy 'jacket' and ATV). That is £137 less than a mu-so by Naim and has more than enough connectivity.

I keep looking at those photos of the upcoming Marantz M-CR611 and I know I couldn't possibly live with it's looks now they have abandoned all external metal casing. So many reports here in the last two years of flaky wireless on the M-CR610 and slow pre-sets too. Very worrying. I have not experienced any such problem in almost four and a half years with my M-CR603 (and it's still looking classy :) ).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Back to looking at the Quad Vena again.

Found an interesting review on Qobuz when searching 'op-amp' and 'Quad Vena' on Google (I can't remember why).

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/info/hi-res-guide/quad-vena-qobuzissime-produces177369

Vlad will enjoy all the internal photographs and descriptions of stuff. (My knowledge of what's any good goes as far as the motorised Alps volume control.)

A thorough seeming review that tallies with those by Hi-fi Choice and Hi-fi World (although not WHF? which actually endears me to it more) in claiming it to be detailed and smooth and 'sweet' and built really well.

I need to get one on loan from my local Audio-T but i'd also need to commit to the purchase of a £59 ATV for the AirPlay playback. (A mainstay here.)

I hope Vladimir sees this and comments.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:

Found an interesting review on Qobuz when searching 'op-amp' and 'Quad Vena' on Google (I can't remember why).

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/info/hi-res-guide/quad-vena-qobuzissime-produces177369

Vlad will enjoy all the internal photographs and descriptions of stuff. (My knowledge of what's any good goes as far as the motorised Alps volume control.)

A thorough seeming review that tallies with those by Hi-fi Choice and Hi-fi World (although not WHF? which actually endears me to it more) in claiming it to be detailed and smooth and 'sweet' and built really well.

I need to get one on loan from my local Audio-T but i'd also need to commit to the purchase of a £59 ATV for the AirPlay playback. (A mainstay here.)

He isn't interested in anything below 1kw and under 20kg in weight. The Vena is embryonic. With the wooden shell think of it as an egg in its earliest stage :)

Talking of eggs ...

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Apart from the mood lighting on the front panel, the MCR611 looks just like the 610 to me. The 610 doesn't look quite as nice as the 603 I agree, but the performance and features are excellent. Having said that, the Yamaha CRX-N560D is every bit as good, and has a higher quality feel too.

There is a new range of Yamaha Grand Piano Craft hifi systems coming out with MusicCast, DAB, Airplay, Bluetooth, Optical Inputs, classical Yamaha aluminium receiver looks with wood accents etc. etc. The new systems are the MCR 670D and MCR 870D

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
chebby said:

He isn't interested in anything below 1kw and under 20kg in weight. The Vena is embryonic. With the wooden shell think of it as an egg in its earliest stage :)

Talking of eggs ...

He still loves those photos of internals.

TRENDING THREADS