Quad Vena

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Any first hand experience with the above?

What Hi-Fi gave it four stars while two other magazines and a few users rated it five stars.

What is going on with Quad in general? Their home page has been off for a few days.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your response David!

How would you rate Vena's digital vs analogue inputs? The marketing material claims that the Vena is using the same DAC chip from their high end CD player and that of course, does not mean anything at all.

Currently I am considering an upgrade from my NAD C326BEE and I really like connectivity options of the Vena. I am also hoping that some of my sources could benefit from better (if it is better) built in DAC.

By the way today and yesteray no trace of Quad HiFi anywhere on the web so I even do not know who is their Canadian distributor.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
C'mon guys, someone must know the answer!

By accident I came across the January 2015 HiFi News review of the Vena and it appears that the measured performance of the DAC section, especially the USB part of it, is less than stellar.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
"But what does it sound like?"

That is exactly what I was trying to find out in my post #3. If all digital inputs are much worse than their analogue counterparts, the whole idea of improving on my current system by using a better built in DAC of the Vena looks much less realistic. If only the USB port is sub par, I could live withe that because chances are that I will not ever use it regardless. So the quest continues.

Thank you Andy! The Quad web site was out for a couple of days but it was back up and running since last Saturda I believe.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ivavcr said:
That is exactly what I was trying to find out in my post #3. If all digital inputs are much worse than their analogue counterparts, the whole idea of improving on my current system by using a better built in DAC of the Vena looks much less realistic. If only the USB port is sub par, I could live withe that because chances are that I will not ever use it regardless. So the quest continues.

I don't think you quite understand me. I didn't ask what it sounds like based on the measurements you've been looking at, I meant what does it sound like to your ears?

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Actually I did!

Maybe I should have stated more clearly that the closest Vena is probably a few thousand miles away from where I am. So I have to rely on declared specs and test results (not too impressive) and most importantly on the opinions/experience of my fellow forum members*clapping*!

Most speakers/amplifiers in magazine reviews "sound like three times the price", "punch way above their weight" and my all time favourite "it has no right to sound this good for the price".

I am just trying to find out why the actual Vena users like it or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts