Quad 405 Upgrades & Experience

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently picked up a Quad 405 power amp, serviced last Summer by Quad, replacing all capacitors including the smoothing caps and also a transistor. I've been using it with my Rotel pre-out in my usual set up. I bought it with the intention of upgrading it entirely, probably based on Netaudio's designs.

My experience of the amp is that it sounds rather bright and even harsh compared to my Rotel integrated. On the plus side it sounds very clean and focused with a lean but well controlled bass, overall quite "grown-up" and clinical. The Rotel integrated sounds more musical, punchy, involving, three-dimensional, less detailed but very enjoyable.

Has anyone else had any experience with this amp? I understood it to be a "classically warm" sounding amp that is very neutral and smooth. I would dispute this claim compared to my £500 Rotel! I know matching is key but I wouldn't call my CDP and speakers bright or harsh, nor would I call my Rotel (as an integrated) warm.

Before I spend time and money upgrading this Quad I would like to see if anyone else has had any experience doing so. What sort of changes do you get?

Any sort of Quad-related input would be appreciated. Cheers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Igg, a quick google says that the 405 is a pure class A amplifier. Now personally I have to say that most solid state class A amplifiers I've heard, such as sudgen and magnum of a few years ago, are to 'glassy' and hifi for me. Perhaps that explains the difference to your rotel.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that DM. Never heard that before but it certainly sounds glassy. Almost like my Rotel with the Kandy CDP I used to have. Shame really as the Quad without any mods is very detailed and clear but I'm going to struggle to live with it I think. If I had a different room, much less reflective, I'd probably be very happy. I might keep it in the 'drawer' for the time being and review when I move house.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I listened to one of those recently and after a few minutes had a ringing in my ears from the high pitch! Perhaps this was partly due to the QED Silver speaker cable and monitor audio RS5s and Kenwood CDP. Perhaps it was better matched to the speakers of its day?

Guy

A

Anonymous

Branoc:
Hi, I listened to one of those recently and after a few minutes had a ringing in my ears from the high pitch! Perhaps this was partly due to the QED Silver speaker cable and monitor audio RS5s and Kenwood CDP. Perhaps it was better matched to the speakers of its day?

Guy

Yeah, I would tend to agree. I thought my Spendors would match well but it's a lot brighter than I was hoping for. Bang goes the cheap power amp idea. Primare I30 next. At least I tried to be reasonable.

A

Anonymous

Hi Igg, Perhaps today's speakers are generally bright sounding? I've notice What HiFi and other magazines / websites descibe products as excellent but then go onto say they are too bright! Doesn't this mean that they arn't excellent?

I see you have Spendor SA1 speakers. Good choice - I heard them in the Bristol HiFi show, very nice indeed. Would you know if the S3Es would work well with an audio Analogue Enigma (stated 54w per channel)?

Thanks alot,

Guy

A

Anonymous

Yeah, perhaps they are. I remember reading a review stating that the Quad 405 lacked the top end sparkle but to be honest that's not what I hear. It does seem that a lot of products on the market give quite a bright sound, but that could be my limited experience.

I couldn't resist the SA1s as they have a superb balance and aren't fatiguing. Unfortunately I have no idea about the match you've suggested but I know the S3Es to be quite laid back. The 54W ought to be enough in a smallish room I would have thought.

Good luck...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts