Quad 303 speaker recommendation

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have an old quad 303/33 pair in very nice condition that I've just sent off to Quad for servicing. Apparently the output of the 303 is 45 watts per channel. I'm trying to find some speakers that will match this setup but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I've always thought the rule of thumb for choosing speakers is to get some which are roughly double the output of the amp input....so I've been looking at 100 watt speakers....b&w 685 (not sure of the output for these? ) but now I'm reading that these need at least 80 watts per channel to really appreciate.

Can anyone give me some pointers? I used to run this setup with a pair of ls35a's made by Chartwell but unfortunately the family member who's given the stereo to me found out how much money they were worth and took them off me to sell on ebay! I've always loved the smooth sound so want to marry it up with some speakers that suit it.

Budget is up to 500 pounds for a pair of speakers.

thanks

T

the record spot

Quad stuff, legendary. Servicing is second to none and build is good. Your best bet, rather than looking at the power would be to look instead at the impedence. Aim for something 89db and above will reap better results than lower - it'll be an easier speaker for the amp to drive. Likewise, if you're looking for floorstanders or standmounts; same principle. You want an easy load for the amp to deal with and not push it hard.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
A left field suggestion (which I haven't personally heard):
http://www.audiosanctum.co.uk/Standmount-Loudspeakers/XTZ-95.24-Loudspeaker-Matt-Black.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts