QED XT Evolution Cables... What the....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey

I just got some of this cable and when I stripped the outer there is the silver wire and grey rubber as well.

I cant twist it because the rubber will not twist, how do I connect this stuff, as its not the same as my other qed cable

Thanks

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Well, Well, Well...........I found myself in the same position also when I stripped back the cable and what I then did was remove the rubber and then twisted the cables. I was also concerned at the time as to what I had to do with the other funny looking strands and then went on to submit a posting on here to which i got no response.

Anyway it works fine for me and i have had no problems. The only downside for me was that I could not connect them to my B&W M-1s as they were too think.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The funny looking strands are the conductor, which are arranged as a tube - the T in XT - round a hollow central insulating core. And yes, it is a very different construction to other cables.

A

Anonymous

So should I just leave everything as is and put it in, or do I need to remove anything?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
This is one of the very few cables that's definitely best used with the dedicated banana plugs, though I am sure someone will come on here and tell me I'm talking Airlocs.

A

Anonymous

Well on that note, will just leave as is, and see how it goes.

Very weird cable, should have stuck with the regular XT

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Andrew thanks for letting me know that funny looking strands are the conductor. Have you any suggestions as to how I connect the EVO XT using banana plugs with the B&W M-1s or would it just not work?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The B&Ws won't accept banana plugs.

You'd have to carefully remove the outer sheath of the cable, try to peel back the conductors without breaking them, then remove the inner core, twist the conductors together and insert them into the B&Ws' terminals.

Frankly it's quite a faff: in this case you may be better off with a cable of more conventional construction.

A

Anonymous

Spoke to the guy I bought them from as they just wont fit.

He said snap the inner core off, it wont make a difference to quality.

Why make wires like this, they should say they need plugs.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Agreed on the removal of the inner core, but the wires left are then very fragile.

And to be fair, the QED website does say

"To ensure optimum performance we recommend the cable is terminated using QED 'Airloc' speaker plugs."

A

Anonymous

Will have to be very carefull then.

in future will just stick to normal QED cables.

Thanks for the help andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts