QAcoustics 2020i / Mission 760i comparison

RocketBeard

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Recieved a pair of QAcoustics 2020i today to replace my ancient Mission 760i's. I've wired the QA's to speaker channel A and the Missions to B allowing me to get a pretty good idea of how they sound together.

Interestingly - and somewhat disappointingly - I'm finding that the QA's sound much less of an improvement that I was expecting. The Missions have been through the wars suffering a number of house moves, baby fingers poked into tweeters etc.. and still sound great. I'm not saying that the QA's don't sound great, just that they sound a bit more rolled off than the Missions. Maybe I'm just used to the sound of the Missions after 10+ years of use but there is clearly a large difference. The bass is thicker through the Missions, however they do tend to exagerate the bass a little so this is no bad thing, the biggest issue for me is that the Missions seem to sound brighter than the QA's. When flicking between, the top end roll off is almost jarringly obvious. Overall, the thicker bass and brighter top end give an impressions of more space and when switching back to the 2020's they almost feel too 'compact'..

Does anyone have any input here, should I just persevere with the 2020's and get used to their sound? I don't want to necessarily return the QA's as they do sound great, I'd just be itnerested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

J

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
what are you using with the speakers,are they both on stands,neither will sound there best on furniture,have you found there sweet spot ie distance from wall,closer to wall more bass less as you come out toed in slightly,ive owned a few missions and q acoustics you will need to give time to notice what the new speakers can do,they should be better.

TazLondon

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I've just got a pair of Q Acoustic 2020i speakers mated to a Marantz PM6005 amp. The sound is breathtaking! I don't know what the Mission speakers sound like, but the 2020i speakers have a huge soundstage to my ears.

The top end of the QA's is just how I like it - no sibilence. I've listened to talk radio, music radio, Blu-Ray discs, Sky HD and lossless music fed via a Marantz PM6005 amp. In almost all cases the sound has been amazing.

I'm surprised at the lack of space you're experiencing. I'm almost experiencing the opposite! Could it be an equipment mismatch?

RocketBeard

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi both, thanks for the replies.

I'm running mine through a Marantz PM5004. To my surprise (and stupidity) I realised that the speakers I ended up ordering were the 2010i's after realising that I probably didn't have the rear space required for the larger 2020i. I'm slightly annoyed now as they are basically the same price and I'm wondering if I should send back the 10's for the 20's just based on the lack of bass I'm noticing from the 10's ...

I've now run through a lot of different material from metal to R&B and I'm eally enjoying a more 'refined' sound and not such an overpowering low and high end as the Missions produce.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
That generation of Mission speaker - the 7series - is probably the the most underrated generation of speaker ever.

While PMC, Spendor and others have gone on to legendary status, the Missions have faded. Pick em up on eBay for nuts.

My first speaker was the 731- stunning for their size when it came to mid range and top end. With zero coloration/boxyness. The bass is accurate relative to the speakers budget - not boxy or flabby and when positioned well, they will surprise. Sounding bigger and more expensive than they're worth. (Kicked a sneer drum clear of the boxes)

The boxes are still going strong on my sister's Sherwood amp - asked for them back and got rebuked.

In comparison I'd bet those 760's feel more solid than the Q's.

They are probably exposing those Q's too. When I heard a pair of 2010's I was surprised at how dull they sounded.

Now if you like that sound, fine.

I would suggest to cure the bass, isolate the speakers from your surface.

A few blobs of bluetac and 8 jenga blocks ort to do it.

Do not convince yourself the Q's sound better when you can hear they don't.

If the Missions work then use them.

I myself still run a pair of Mission 782se, no desire to 'upgrade' - speakers they competed with still running are now £1500+

Mission's - old ones ate classif speakers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I used to own a pair of Mission 760iSE when I was a kid. Good speakers.

I've also owned a pair of Q Acoustics 1010i. They were very rolled off in the treble. I prefer this to the harsh treble that most budget speakers have but because of this they did rob the sound of a bit too much clarity and they had to go in the end because of it.

This is just the Q Acoustics sound. I quite like it but it has it's limitations and they aren't for everyone.

RocketBeard

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
What an annoying problem..

To make things even more difficult my girlfriend loves the Q's, mainly based on the smaller size and nicer finish :-|

I'll probably keep the Q's - give a few music loving friends a listen and see how they feel. I certainly won't be getting rid of the Missions, especially seeing that they only go for a few quid these days! I don't dislike the sound of them for sure.

I'm running them on Z2's and I'll get some blu-tac under them, see if that solves the bass issue, although to be honest, occasionally I had to turn down the bass when running on the missions as we live in a flat and I'm always paranoid that the neighbour downstairs will come banging on the door!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Put 'jenga' blocks or equivalent on blue tac on each corner of the base of the boxes and top plate of your stands.

If possible put them in free space or just move them forward. And fire them out into the room straight, no toe-in

Nothing wrong with turning down the bass with your tone controls ether or trimming the top end.

The Missions have excellent midrange and are clear - they have a more dynamic range than the Q's.

Plastic flowers in a pretty vase...... If you need to make them look pretty place a vase on each speaker.....lol....works evetytime..

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
If you like the 760i have you considered upgrading them to the very similar but slightly improved 760iSE or 780SE both of which can be picked up for peanuts on eBay.

Other more modern and slightly more expensive second hand speakers that sound quite similar to but are better than the Mission's are the AVI Neutron 4 or 5 and some of the compact two way Acoustic Energy speakers (sorry I can't remember the name of the AE speakers that I'm thinking of).

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The 780se like the 782's were notorious for having unreliable mid/bass drivers - this I think was the cause for the decline in Missions fortunes.

If you decide to investigate them just make sure those drivers have been replaced for the more robust/reliable ones

Had to get my mid drivers replaced only a few years after ownership.

Touch wood no problems since.

Dan G

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I too have a pair of Q acoustics but 2020is. I have had them for about two years. I remember playing them straight out of the box and thinking they sounded terrible! About a week in they seemed to come to life. Two years later they are a pleasure.

My wife bought me the 2700 sub back in June and for my ears is seriously good. It doesnt't go right down the low frequencies but really brings the speakers to life. You can pick B stock 2700s or used off ebay for a good price. Whenever music friends come over the first thing they comment on is the beautiful sub bass!

P.s I found the Q's sound great with my NAD amp but weaker on the Arcam Delta 290 I previously owned.

Dan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts