QA Subwoofers....specificially the 1000si.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I am quite happy with my QA 1000si sub, especially after adding a few mains cables to the source and receiver (Chord Powerchord) and to the sub itself (Clearer Audio Alpha.), but how good is the 1000si sub compared with others.......?

Reason i ask is that i have only really ever heard my friends KEF (part of the 2005.1 egg system) downfiring sub....

What would I have to spend to noticeably better it, when only used for freeview and movies......

The 'aftermarket' mains cables have given it an added 'punch', compared with using standard cables....which has been a good addition to the sound, but I wonder if a 'sealed' cabinet sub would add even more 'tightness' and 'thump' to it?

Were I to change subwoofer, I would be keen on a downfiring one of similar size to the QA 1000si, due to having dogs in the house alot....

A suggested list is:

Tannoy TS8/10

MJ Acoustics Pro 50 MK 2

REL Quake

Gemini 2

Mordaunt Short 309i Avant (if still found)

or B&W ASW608/Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo8 (not downfiring, I realise)

Or would I have to spend much more to better the 1000si?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
After re-reading the QA 1010i 5.1 package review on here, perhap I ought to be happy with it the way it is.........

'The biggest and best surprise of all is the Q1000Si subwoofer's performance. Its ability to respond to sudden bass surges with a crisp sense of precision and speed, as well as enough sheer weight to offer resounding low-end muscle is breathtaking. It all adds up to a stunning performance that will quickly induce amnesia about how little you actually paid for it.'

Don't remember ever reading the review like that, but I guess I'll stick as I am for now.....

A

Anonymous

I was sorta in the same boat as you, I had a old Gale sub, which when th bass hit, the sub sounded like it was forced to do this and did not like it, really punchy and then when low bass hit, and I mean really low, it sounded like a old guy farting.

I since bought a R370HD for 250.00 from Frank.. .LOL david and I got to say, its like night and day.

The new sub, sounds like it wants to be a subwoofer, very mellow bass, and when needed, it blows the windows apart.

EG: When the train pulled up at the station in Public Enemies, it sounded like a jumbo jet landed on my lawn, then came into my living room to rest, me and my mate had our mouths open.

The only way is to go to a show room and see what yours is like, then compair with a more expensive highly rated one.

I am glad I did.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
canada16:EG: When the train pulled up at the station in Public Enemies, it sounded like a jumbo jet landed on my lawn

So not very accurate, then?
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I wasn't 100% happy with my 1000si and spent ages testing different room positions and bought some nice new cables and I finally got the sofa shaking at the appropriate moments (that bit at the end of Transformers for example). I still had that feeling that things could be better so I bought a marble chopping board (about 15mm thick, costing a tenner) that sits quite neatly underneath and I'm convinced the clarity and timing is much better. Might be worth trying...

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
I have to say that I'm very impressed with my QAV sub. Will WHF be reviewing it on it's own? It retails for about £200, bargain!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
ear:never heard it.but reading the reviews I got the idea it was really bad and slow with no grunt at all

I think your getting confused with the original QA 1000s subwoofer.......that one had bad reviews....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
GregoryByrne:I wasn't 100% happy with my 1000si and spent ages testing different room positions and bought some nice new cables and I finally got the sofa shaking at the appropriate moments (that bit at the end of Transformers for example). I still had that feeling that things could be better so I bought a marble chopping board (about 15mm thick, costing a tenner) that sits quite neatly underneath and I'm convinced the clarity and timing is much better. Might be worth trying...

I have granite tiles from Topps Tiles (£5.99 each) under the sub and front speakers already....but thanks for the idea.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete - how much improvement did you gain when you changed mains cable? I'm considering doing this with my 1000si

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Hum Si model , must be the sport model.just read again the review on what hifi and i concluded that the new sub from the 2000 series is worse than the 1000 series pack?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
ear:a I wrong or there was also a review from the early model wich stated bad stuff about the sub?

Yes, the original sub, the 1000s model, didn't get the best reviews, which is why I waited for the 'i'mproved version to come out at the time.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
daveywavey18:Pistol Pete - how much improvement did you gain when you changed mains cable? I'm considering doing this with my 1000si

I found it to improvement the 'punchiness' of the sub, and the bass was more defined than before, compared with the sightly 'muddled' sound it produced before.........saying that though, I tried the Chord Superscreen and the bass was so deep, it didn't sound integrated into the rest of the sound at all.....so i have kept the Clearer Audio Alpha on it.

Definitely worth trying, especially as you can return the cable if unhappy with it......

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
ear:Hum Si model , must be the sport model.just read again the review on what hifi and i concluded that the new sub from the 2000 series is worse than the 1000 series pack?

I think your conclusions might be correct........I did see someone asking the same question on another well known forum. he was suggesting to buy QA 2000 series speakers separately, and add the 1000si to them, rather than the 2070 sub......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts