Q-Acoustics 2010i + Onkyo A-9050 ???

eighttrack

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Do you think the Onkyo A-9050 & Q-Acoustics 2010i would compilment each other?

After comparing amps in my pricerange the Onkyo seems like the best for my needs...

- Decent integrated DAC

- 75 W/Ch

- £300 - £350

- (MM) Turntable input

- Headphone jack on the right side (Petty prefrence based on my desks orientatation)

- Sub Pre-Out

- Fits my shelving (where the Yamaha AS500 doesn't)

I plan to purchase the 2010i & A-9050, but the impedance has me hesitating.

The speakers have a nominal impedance of 6ohm, with a max recomended power of 75w. The amp switches between 4ohm & 8ohm, with 75W/ch at 8ohm.

- Are there any risks powering the speakers with this amp?

"If you use Speakers A or Speakers B, make sure to use speakers

with an impedance of 4 to 16 ohms. If you use Speakers A and

Speakers B, make sure to use speakers with an impedance of

8 to 16 ohms. Connecting speakers with an impedance less than

8 ohms may cause the protection circuit to activate"

- This quote from the Onkyo manual suggests the speakers are fine, but I will not be able to run a second pair simultaneously since the 2010i's are 4ohm-6ohm.

"Switch the SPEAKER IMPEDANCE selector on the unit’s rear panel.

- [4ohm or more and less than 8ohm] Sets the impedance to 4 ohm.

- [8ohm or more and 16ohm or less] Sets the impedance to 8ohm."

- If i'm relegated to the 4 ohm switch, how will it affect watt/ch and performance?

I'd appreciate any opinions, hopefully my ignorance can be excused.

eighttrack

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Thats a testament to how lost I am. I was hoping a center speaker could be used in stereo, with dual outputs. Edited my main post, sorry for the confusion.

eighttrack

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'theme' or 'speaker options = biggest changes in sound presentation'?

*Updated first post with better queries.*

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
eighttrack said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'theme' or 'speaker options = biggest changes in sound presentation'?

*Updated first post with better queries.*

Your request was for advice on how your chosen system would sound. I don't know, not having heard those items, but I doubt that it would sound anything other than perfectly acceptable.

Variation on a theme means that something similar could be achieved by using different components, but on a similar price level.

There are many speakers around at your budget and it is widely accepted that speakers have the largest effect on how your system will sound, hence sound presentation. Providing that you are not going to try and shake the house to its foundations with your music, the amplifier will be perfectly adequate for the speakers available to you at the budget and so are probably the only variable worth considering, ie the Onkyo looks like very good value for money.

Hope this helps.

eighttrack

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks alot, that does help. The amp seems to be the only variable worth considering because of the price/features, but there are other speakers in very similar dimensions. Some of the other speakers have 8 ohm nominal impedance, but they are not held in high regard like the 2010i's. My main concern is the amp overpowering the speakers. Doesn't '75W/ch' @ 8 ohm increase when using 4 ohm? The speakers recomended max power is 75w, so if i'm using the 4ohm won't i'll be pushing much more than 75W/ch?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Damage is more likely to happen using an amplifier that is underated to the speakers. Damage to the amp and/or speakers can occur in some situations.

I would personally have no concerns over your chosen system.

dalwen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
@8track, did You purchase the items, if so couleur You describe hoe IT preformes and IT You are happy

hmm auto correction cant edit my txt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts