Q acoustics 1010s or Kef 1005s? No time to give them a listen!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to spend about £600 on my surround setup.

my questions:

what are the main differences between a the Denon AVR1507/1707/1907? Denon's website won't let me compare them anymore.

Amp-wise, which is the best value for money [no point spending more if i won't notice the difference & could buy better cables instead...] :
Denon AVR1507 £140ish [guesswork based on the offer Richer sounds have on the £400 sep system],
Denon AVR1707 £160 with Richer Sounds price match promise with SuperFi, or...
Denon AVR1907 £180 with Richer Sounds price match promise with SuperFi

As for speakers, do I opt for :
Q Acoustics 1010's £300 at SuperFi.... [speakers I always thought were out of my reach!] or...
KEF kht1005's £240 at Richer Sounds [if i manage to get them to beat the price at Weymouth HiFi]
...i may be able to persuade them to do me a deal on the speaker stand for these also

What would be a decent DVD Player to go with these? I'm thinking something like...
Denon DVD1740 £100 with Richer Sounds price match
Samsung DVDHD870 £60 at Richer Sounds
but other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I also know nothing about speaker cables and interconnects - could someone let me know what might be a safe bet? [i don't want to end up accepting any old rubbish in the heat of negotiations with Richer Sounds!]

Your input will be greatly appreciated as I have absolutely no time to go and give these a listen.
Many thanks in advance!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Personally, if i had £600 to spend on a surround sound system i'd go for the Sony DAVIS-10 system.

It's an all in one system, and believe me, its bloody fantastic!

My girlfriend's parents spent £2k on a new hi-fi seperates system and didnt want to go too OTT for a surround sound system as they listen to more music that watch TV/films etc...

The Sony system checked every tick box required. It's minimal, great (well actually fantastic) sound with tiny satalite speakers and a great sub unit that really rocks the room!

I dont think you'd go wrong with it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, I wouldn't advocate buying anything, let alone a complete system, without listening, but...

[quote user="KoalaElf"]

what are the main differences between a the Denon AVR1507/1707/1907? Denon's website won't let me compare them anymore.

[/quote]

More power and a few more widgets as you go up the range. Not too much to worry about at this level.

[quote user="KoalaElf"]

Amp-wise, which is the best value for money [no point spending more if i won't notice the difference & could buy better cables instead...] :
Denon AVR1507 £140ish [guesswork based on the offer Richer sounds have on the £400 sep system],
Denon AVR1707 £160 with Richer Sounds price match promise with SuperFi, or...
Denon AVR1907 £180 with Richer Sounds price match promise with SuperFi
[/quote]

If the prices are that close, I'd go for the 1907, as it'll have better power and dynamics.

[quote user="KoalaElf"]

As for speakers, do I opt for :
Q Acoustics 1010's £300 at SuperFi.... [speakers I always thought were out of my reach!] or...
KEF kht1005's £240 at Richer Sounds [if i manage to get them to beat the price at Weymouth HiFi]

...i may be able to persuade them to do
me a deal on the speaker stand for these also
[/quote]

The Q Acoustics will give you the better sound, the KEFs will look cuter. I'd buy the QAcous.

[quote user="KoalaElf"]What would be a decent DVD Player to go with these? I'm thinking something like...
Denon DVD1740 £100 with Richer Sounds price match
Samsung DVDHD870 £60 at Richer Sounds
but other suggestions would be much appreciated.[/quote]

The Denon. Better sound, and at that price a no-brainer, plus it'll work from the same remote as the receiver.

[quote user="KoalaElf"]I also know nothing about speaker cables and interconnects - could someone let me know what might be a safe bet? [i don't want to end up accepting any old rubbish in the heat of negotiations with Richer Sounds!][/quote]

If you're negotiating at Richer Sounds, you'll need a digital interconnect to go between your DVD player and the receiver - the Cambridge Audio one at £20 will be fine -, enough speaker cable to link up all your speakers to the receiver - however many metres of Gale Symphony 300 you need at £1.49/m -, and a Cambridge Audio SubLink cable at £20 for the subwoofer.

Video connection from DVD player to TV will depend on the TV you have.

A

Anonymous

thanks for your opinion dan, but i really need the inputs on the back of an amp to connect up various consoles and the like. :)

A

Anonymous

Andrew - thanks so much for your speedy response. Your advice is very helpful ...can't wait to get down to haggling with peops now i know what i want! ^_^

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts