PS3 or S760

Hmmm.....debatable one. I'm sure there will be members who don't agree with me.

For blu-ray picture, there shouldn't be any difference in the picture quality.

If you're going to allow the player to decode sound, then the S760 should offer superior performance. But if you're bitstreaming it to a good quality receiver, then there shouldn't be any difference to sound.

For DVDs, S760 should be a better upscaler. Again, if you have a good TV, it should upscale DVDs just as good.

It really depends on what you want out of your player. If you want a versatile player which is also a media player, an internet browser, & ofcourse, a game console, go for the PS3. Some users have experienced troublesome fan noise. But apparently, the newer PS3 is better at that, & if you ensure good ventilation, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're not bothered about games & want to buy a blu-ray player only, then the S760 is a no-brainer.

pip1st74

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Bigboss

Ive got an upgraded 80gig PS3 connected to an Onkyo TX-SR875,

With this set-up would you say theres not gonna be much improvement in quality if i upgrade to the S760 for bluray purpurses ?

Thanks

Paul

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I've used the PS3 as a Bluray player for some time now. My main issue is that it's a noisy brute and it's starting to get on my nerves, so I'm thinking about getting a dedicated BRP.

pip1st74:

Thanks Bigboss

Ive got an upgraded 80gig PS3 connected to an Onkyo TX-SR875,

With this set-up would you say theres not gonna be much improvement in quality if i upgrade to the S760 for bluray purpurses ?

Thanks

Paul

For pure blu-ray purposes, no. How important is DVD upscaling for you? Which TV you've got? If you can get a S760 for home demo, compare it yourself.

If you're happy with your PS3, stick with it. If you really want to check if S760 is better, try to get one for a demo & check it yourself. If you check online, & on other forums, you'll see lot of discussions about how blu-ray performance is identical amongst different players, no matter how expensve it is. The difference is noticeable in case of audio (if you want the player to decode) & DVD upscaling (if you're using the player to upscale).

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I have just ordered one to replace my PS3 and Toshiba hdep35 HD player and with the reviews given I am hoping for a big step up in quality/performance over the ps3 and toshiba - I am hoping i'm not going to only end up with a quieter machine that lights up the front display of my amp or with be very disapointed!!!

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I now have the S760 sitting alongside original PS3. The latter's fan noise was a big factor, but the top reviews, high spec and the familiarity of the XMB ( as well as auditions of course) all helped in the decision to go for the S760 . I have found a very noticeable difference in Blu Ray picture quality - much crisper, deeper image, at least on my 106'' screen and even to some extent on my relatively old 42'' Plasma . Sound is of course in a different league to PS3 due bitstreaming HD codecs.

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I have to agree I have a 50 " plasma and the picture and sound are better than the 80gig PS3 I have. Add the I don't hear the fan noise from the player. makes it that much better.

A

Anonymous

Jonnyhifi:I now have the S760 sitting alongside original PS3. The latter's fan noise was a big factor, but the top reviews, high spec and the familiarity of the XMB ( as well as auditions of course) all helped in the decision to go for the S760 . I have found a very noticeable difference in Blu Ray picture quality - much crisper, deeper image, at least on my 106'' screen and even to some extent on my relatively old 42'' Plasma . Sound is of course in a different league to PS3 due bitstreaming HD codecs.

Jonnyhifi,

I noticed you have the Denon 2310 like me, how does the Sony 760 sound when playing CDs?

And do you use the analogue outputs or bitstream it?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Get the S760 and if your into gaming get an xbox 360..Modern Warfare 2 is unbeatable on xbox live!

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
i have the new slim ps3 & its quiet, you do not know its on.

As for blu-ray performance it (to me) knocks the socks off the old as the quality has been vastly improved for HDMI so you can get the 7.1, true HD etc etc all through the HDMI in a quality amp.

I have just sold my sammy le32" lcd tv, blu-rays from my ps3 looked far better on this than my mates old style phat ps3 on his 32"lcd.

I'm now counting down the days for my panny G10 to arrive to make the most of the blu-rays & gaming
emotion-19.gif

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
steeps:

Jonnyhifi:I now have the S760 sitting alongside original PS3. The latter's fan noise was a big factor, but the top reviews, high spec and the familiarity of the XMB ( as well as auditions of course) all helped in the decision to go for the S760 . I have found a very noticeable difference in Blu Ray picture quality - much crisper, deeper image, at least on my 106'' screen and even to some extent on my relatively old 42'' Plasma . Sound is of course in a different league to PS3 due bitstreaming HD codecs.

Jonnyhifi,

I noticed you have the Denon 2310 like me, how does the Sony 760 sound when playing CDs?

And do you use the analogue outputs or bitstream it?

Cheers

I have been using HDMI for CDs; and as my 2310, S760 and speakers are all new toys, have been tinkering around with settings, Sub levels etc. I am more than happy with the sound, (even though the speakers aren't run-in fully yet), especially since installing a Neutrik Speakon high level cable from the Sub at the weekend. Also tried iPod using the front analogue inputs, with good but so far not great results - still more fiddling to do there.

p.s the S760 was the last component installed here, so I can vouch for the audio and visual improvements over original PS3.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts