Projector upgrade

neilshep

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I have a Sanyo plv-z700 projector that I've had for 5 years now, it projects to a size of around 115 inches. It has served me really well but its started to show yellow blotches all over the screen and I think it's time for an upgrade. I will eventually get a 4K projector when the prices come down and there is more content. What I'm looking for is a cheap projector that will be:

1. Slightly better than my Sanyo PLV-Z700

2. Doesnt cost that much.

3. Will last a couple of years.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks,

Neil

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Neil

I recently replaced my £2500 Mitsubishi with a £500 Benq W1070 following suggestions on this site. It is brilliant but you should check the throw ratio is OK for your location.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
The yellow blotches you describe are normally dirt on the mirrors / chip - changing the bulb will not remove them and will likely be a waste of money.

I tried to get my Mitsubishi repaired but it was not economically viable and a modern projector offers so much more for the money.

neilshep

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
Yeah the yellow blotches didnt get fixed when I needed to replace the lamp. BenQ W1070 looks like a good interum option, the projector would be ceiling mounted and about 4m away from the wall it will be projected on, does that sound okay? Thanks, Neil

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
4m away may be a little too far as it will give you an image that covers a wall almost completely from floor to ceiling. The Benq does not have a huge amount of zoom adjustment. I would check out the image size v distance that you need before you buy.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
You need to work out how big an image you want and then use the 'throw ratio' calculator to tell you how far away you can put the projector.

If you tell me how big an image is need (make sure to be clear if you are telling me the diagonal or the width!) then I will find the website and run the calculator to find out the distance.

neilshep

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the offer much appreciated.

Unfortunatly, I dont think I will be able to move the projector location easily without a builder.

However I've got some more accurate measurements below:

Current projector distance from screen = 3m (from front of projector to screen on wall).

Distance of the mounted projector from the ceiling = 6 inches

Distance from the ceiling to where the top of the screen needs to be projected = 80cm (would that be okay for the vertical shift?)

I'm wondering what sort of screen size that would give?

Thanks,

Neil

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
According to Benq a 3m distance from the screen would give an image between (3m diagonal - 1.5m h x 2.6m w) and (2.3m diagonal - 1.1m h x 2m w), so you should be fine.

You can alter the image to anywhere between these figures using the optical zoom. (The projector also has a digital zoom but don't use it as it degrades the image.) Your ceiling heights should also be OK.

Here's the website to check - http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm

TRENDING THREADS