Project: Genie v Debut3, what differences apart from aesthetics?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does the design of the plinth/base on the Debut make it sturdier/ less subject to vibrations than the Genie's apparently smaller area?

Apart from this any other issues of siginificance? I presume the house sound will be almost identical given the price levels, so is it just a case of which one looks better to the purchaser stylewise?

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i am looking to buy one in 8-12 weeks and i am looking at either a £120 genie2 or a white gloss £205 gene3. the main thing i have seen is that the on/off switch is far better placed on the genie3. look forward to people views

A

Anonymous

Much better off getting a Rega P1 or P2. The budget Pro-ject decks are only average, and the Rega arms are much better.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Have to disagree there Tarquinh, the Projct Genie is a cracking little deck that loses little to my previous Rega P2 with Denon DL11O and at present i am using the stock om3 cartridge. I was not a lover of previous Projct TT's except the rpm4 but pie and humble spring to mind now, i'm not so sure about the Rega arms being better, after all Linn use a Project arm on their entry level deck so they cant be that bad, good as Rega decks are they are not the only alternative in the budget sector and i feel that the P3 with power supply takes it up to nearly P5 status but thats not really budget territory any more, what with upgrades for most decks on the market now it's easy to upgrade to a higher level, something that Rega never entertained until quite recently, which i feel goes to show how well other brands have progressed but if the OP has a listen to both decks and prefers one over the other thats their choice, i for one am sticking with my Genie and am only going to upgrade the stylus to om10 or 20 although it would be nice to try another Denon but price dictates on that one.

A

Anonymous

Well, the Debut III I had was pretty bad - high noise floor, metal platter which ruled out mc cartridges and as nervous as a hamster watching the eagle come swooping down on it.

Regas are much better. As to Linn, they (like Thorens and other makes) have gear made in the Pro-ject factory usually to their own specs so it may not be comparable with the budget Pro-ject arms and turntables, though the Debut doesn't really qualify as budget at current prices. Linn have always outsourced, by the way. Some of their cartridges were ATs and their arms Jelcos.

A

Anonymous

I stand corrected. Having researched this more I found a reference in a rival magazine to Linn supplying a Pro-ject 9cc tonearm with their Majik player. Unusual for Linn since they usually do design and outsource their tonearms.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts