Profigold PGC82546 Air Bass Flex

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Strange cable this, in a good way. Compared to my NACA5 and a QED Revelation Signature I recently tried (and subsequently sold on) it does things neither of those does whilst lacking perhaps in certain aspects but thats not necesseraly a bad thing.

The Profigold (Bandridge) has a quite interesting construction, is flexible and unassuming, again another good thing for some. Quite a difference to the Profigold Oxypure Ultra Interconnects I use. They closely resemble Atlas's second from top Mavros Ultra both in build and materials. With it comes a weight and stiffness which can be somewhat disconcerting.

This speaker cable has a transparency that is ahead of the other two. Thats the first thing I've noticed. - It also gives wood and string instruments a lovely resonance that neither the Naim or QED can do. I was quite taken aback by this. It has better treble than them too, especially compared to the QED which seemed a tad rolled off in comparison. The Profigolds extends with seemingly no upper limit (my HF hearing is the limit) whilst being delicate and smooth. Nice.

Bass is very deep and full. If you have an under damped speaker/amplifier it may just tip it slightly in the wrong direction. If, on the other hand, you have a well controlled system it will add a naturalness that is very endearing and adds a bounce that is fun (and good for rock). Bass is also superbly integrated and seemlessly joins upper bass. I read a review which stated bass was disjointed ... not sure how a cable could do this but I certainly didnt hear that. It also seems to sound somewhat more 3D. Front to back layering is good as is left/right extension and it makes the speakers disolve in a way that the more expensive cables can't.

It hasn't quite got the overal attack of the NACA nor the midrange presence of the QED but it is overal very well balanced and ... cheap.

Think of the QED as having a mid to mid-high centric frequency response with good drive and togetherness, ideal for systems which need tight bass control. - The NACA is reasonably flat with a very slight bass roll-off and a little bit spiky mid and top, an exciting cable that brings life to dull systems. - The Profigold has a very slight smiley curve with the least distortion, a quite unforced but natural presentation but not lacking in PRAT.

If all this reads like there are huge differences, there aren't but they are noticeable and may be more so depending which way your system tends to go.

There are some differences in construction which would probably go some way to explain tonal variations (as are preconception based on the same).

Quite a cable imho. This is in the context of my system. Yours may vary.

I use silver plated Z plugs.

gasolin

Old thread new reply

Do you still use the cable?

I have just ordered a pair for my system(got it today) ,why, i had different speakers when i bought my silver sonic Odessey and they where clearer than my supra classic, my system is just a litte bright from to time of course depending on what i listen to( i don't use eq,tone controls that is not an option), i realised my cable was kind of thin, 14 awg 1.6mm (bass), so i tried my 10 awg 2.5 mm supra classic 2.5mm, it sounded less bright but somehow i thought it might have a less detailed top.

I now i had to fine tune the sound using different speaker cable, so i looked for something diffferent.

I found this i want to mention, skin effect, stranded are better than solid core, stranded profilgold airbassflex, solid core silver sonic odessey. https://youtu.be/r7DdcZCbABo?t=1m54s

I found the profigold AirBassflex cable, but no reviews, for about 6.5€ pr meter retail price 10€ pr meter, i wrote to the store and asked about return policy for speaker cable, if i wanted to i could return it.

How does it sound, yes it sounds good.

Bass is nothing special but on the other hand it's not bad (update atm playing kraftwerk the model and the bass sounds controlled and with no boomines and without sounding bloted),midrange, does it sound 3d like drummermand mentioned, i don't know, the midrange sounds really good, clear,open,wide sound mabye it does sound 3d'ish *music2*, the top is stil lively, not restrained,dark or a bit like a lazy dog, somehow i feel it sounds like it's less intrusive, a bit less i want to be noticed than the sliver sonic Odessey (skin effetc solid vs starnded core ?) but still have some sparkle livelyness, less or more details, slightly less top people might connect it with less a detailed sound, to me it doesn't sound worse than other cables.

Personally i feel similar priced Qed cable in my system sound to bright and agressive so if you can get the profigold AirBassflex for a good price it is worth trying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts