ProAc V Spendor

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I have the 140's and they are a fab speaker.

Looking at the specs it looks like the A5's might be just a bit harder to drive with 85dB sensitivity, the 140's are 91dB.

Also it looks like the A5's are rear ported so might be more choosey about positioning near rear walls.

If you audition them let me know how you get on, the Spendors do look very nice.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replys guys. I had a listen to the A5's last week. They were nice, but i cant bi-amp or bi-wire with them, and if they are rear ported it may cause me some probs, as speakers will be at bay window, sound gets a bit funny then, to my ears anyway. Mike, how do you do your setup with the two 8 powers?

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare. Are you planning on a test any time soon? If so, could you throw in the pmc fb1i's also? I was going to get some speakers on tuesday, but, i can hang back a little if you have something in the pipeline.

A

Anonymous

What ever happened to going to a dealer and buying the kit you prefer? Even beyond personal taste there's a lot of factors to make the decision very different for everyone. Listening room, partnering kit, the actual CDs you're likely to put through the thing. Buy with your ears
emotion-1.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We haven't got anything planned along those lines for next two issues (March out next week; April out early March), so i'd go for it! You're doing all the right things by auditioning, so listen away and enjoy your eventual new speakers - some cracking models to choose from at that price point.

A

Anonymous

Im only asking due to whf impartiality. Every dealer has tried to flog me b&w or dynaudio. Plus, most of the decent hi-fi stores up my neck of the woods are closed sundays, and due to the fact i have to work five or six days a week, it makes it rather hard and time consuming to get to all the shops.

A

Anonymous

Understood. It's a tricky game to win, moreso when you haven't got any good dealers around nor the time to travel to them. I would recommend Synergy AV up in Congleton in Chesire (Naim, Rega) and Sevenoaks in Lincoln (MF, Primare, Spendor, Proac, Leema) as two that have been very good indeed.

A

Anonymous

Im in glasgow, so cant travel that far. The sevenoaks up here isnt very good, B&W is the best range they do, and the dearest pair is about 1k, cant remember model, the ones with the metal surrounding the cones. I have a half-day on tuesday, so cd's at the ready and a tank full of petrol.

A

Anonymous

give loud and clear ago. they stock pro-ac & pmc and are very good. also hifi corner have the spendor's i think.

I know they're not open sunday's but loud and clear at least are open till 6pm weekdays with the sign saying 'other times by arrangement' so i'm sure you could talk them in to an evening listening session so long as you don't try and keep them open till midnight!

A

Anonymous

Cheers bud, thats the two shops im off to on tuesday. Ive had a listen to the A5's, they are good, but think i can get better.

A

Anonymous

Most of the people are really friendly in L&C, but i usually try to speak to John (dark hair, glasses). Always seems happy to just chat and a bit less of a 'salesman' than you normally get.

Good luck with your hunting.

A

Anonymous

The Spendors are a cracking speaker they really are (heard them twice)but the single-wire only facility is why i turned them down. the proacs are awesome, but as has been commented on they are less efficient.

If however you can push to the two grand mark, then i would hang on and listen the the new response D18's from proac.

oh, and possibly the monitor audio gs60s/20's?

just some thoughts on a sunday afternoon!;-)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would dearly love some 140s, I have the Sig Ref 8s and they are brilliant, especially given they are smaller than a mouse. I have a great deal of respect for ProAc, and would buy some 140s in an instant if I could get them past the missus. Funnily enough invited some friends round for lunch, a nice roast lamb, and Bibi who's French and has the shittiest midi you've ever heard made some very nice comments about the kitchen ProAcs today.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Funnily enough invited some friends round for lunch, a nice roast lamb, and Bibi who's French and has the shittiest midi you've ever heard made some very nice comments about the kitchen ProAcs today.
You'd bloody hope so given the price difference between the two (likely) systems. Price aside people love my hifi. Mention the damage and they go back to thinking I'm a loon. Funny how spending over a k on a lense for a camera seems to be far more acceptable. Sorry, I digress...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:JoelSim:Funnily enough invited some friends round for lunch, a nice roast lamb, and Bibi who's French and has the shittiest midi you've ever heard made some very nice comments about the kitchen ProAcs today.You'd bloody hope so given the price difference between the two (likely) systems. Price aside people love my hifi. Mention the damage and they go back to thinking I'm a loon. Funny how spending over a k on a lense for a camera seems to be far more acceptable. Sorry, I digress...

I know exactle where you're coming from Igg.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi, had a look at speakers today. No-one had a great range in store. I have now discounted the spendors for the same reason as you. Will go back in a week or two when the d18's come in, also going to listen to a pair of totems, anyone had any eperience with them? and the MA GS 20's and 60's. Any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

I think mike_schmidt has the rainmakers (i know someone has) and thinks they're great.

I quite like the look of the little arro's not heard them though,

How's the search going now?

eidt: i meant raypalmer not mike_schmidt

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Its pretty simple I run my left smartpower in mono dedicated with one lead from the Left pre out from my Pre amp and the same with the right. I found that this keeps the single straight where you want it without any cross talk. I was listening yesterday and some volume going into my Proac D28's for about 45 minutes or so went for a touch and my power amps were still cold? Now im getting into a different question but I would say there isnt much stress there if there still cold to touch, on top and bottom

A

Anonymous

Mike_Schmidt:Its pretty simple I run my left smartpower in mono dedicated with one lead from the Left pre out from my Pre amp and the same with the right. I found that this keeps the single straight where you want it without any cross talk. I was listening yesterday and some volume going into my Proac D28's for about 45 minutes or so went for a touch and my power amps were still cold? Now im getting into a different question but I would say there isnt much stress there if there still cold to touch, on top and bottomI'm confused!

A

Anonymous

dontcallmeshirley:Hi, had a look at speakers today. No-one had a great range in store. I have now discounted the spendors for the same reason as you. Will go back in a week or two when the d18's come in, also going to listen to a pair of totems, anyone had any eperience with them? and the MA GS 20's and 60's. Any thoughts?

I'm in the process of demoing speakers in Glasgow at the moment as well, haven't heard the ProAc 140's but have had a quick listen to the Spendor A5's and the sounded very good but will arrange a proper demo soon. I did however demo on Friday in Audio Merchants (next to Slater's menswear) the Epos M16i (they didn't have the M22i in), Neat Motive 1's and the Kef XQ30's all through a Roksan Caspian Integrated and Caspian CD player and using a wide mix of music.

The Epos were excellent, especially for the price, approx £900. The Motive 1's were quite disappointing - too laid back for my tastes. The XQ30's were a revelation, the imaging from them is exceptionally good and the finish on them is (in this case piano black) beautiful, admittedly they are the dearest, approx £1500, but they are now at the top of my list. One other good thing, Audio Merchants will let you home demo them (something I will be doing myself before making a final descision) and they're very helpful, I bought my Roksan Caspian from them after a home demo - it's a big plus point.

A

Anonymous

Hi; have'nt hrard from the dealer yet, so i guess they dont have them in, and i guess with recent weather it may take an extra day or 2. So search still at a standstill. Hopefully something will happen this week! Maybe it's just me, but i dont like the piano black speakers. Will check out the shop this week though, when it stops snowing.

TRENDING THREADS