Proac Tablette Reference 8?

John Duncan

Hmm, shame, don't know in that case. In my admittedly standmount-centric experience, the Signature is the best speaker I've heard below a Linn Akurate and a B&W 802-something monster thingie. There are some good deals to be had on the sig if you look............

Or of course there's the PMC, which is also lovely.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Hmm, shame, don't know in that case. In my admittedly standmount-centric experience, the Signature is the best speaker I've heard below a Linn Akurate and a B&W 802-something monster thingie. There are some good deals to be had on the sig if you look............ Or of course there's the PMC, which is also lovely.

It is just that near me they have a second hand pair in at ?600 (I live in Italy) and can trade in my Quad 12L plus ?150 so I am tempted. I am striving for a sound without listener fatigue which is airy to boot.

John Duncan

Well, without having heard them, you should still get 'airy' - the signature added a better bass driver, the tweeter was retained (I think, you may wish to investigate).

But so I'm clear - 150 euros to upgrade? I'd do it, probably. Listen first though - you may find too much bass missing..........

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Well, without having heard them, you should still get 'airy' - the signature added a better bass driver, the tweeter was retained (I think, you may wish to investigate). But so I'm clear - 150 euros to upgrade? I'd do it, probably. Listen first though - you may find too much bass missing..........

You are unable to hear the stuff unfortunately although everything is guaranteed. The bass? I love bass, really love it-but I'd be willing to sacrifice it a little if the sound bettered my Quads, which quite frankly appear to me to be £300 speakers in a £500 cabinet.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:I think you'd be sacrificing a lot, frankly, so this may not be your best bet. Your summary of the 12L is pretty accurate though.

Is that you in your photo caption? Curiosity may kill the cat but I am tempted to try them out. I can always re-trade them in. I think I would much prefer a speaker that doesn't pretend to be something it is not (are we also talking RS6 MA here also?) The Proacs from what I can gather is an audiofile speaker which to all intents and purposes is what I want. Thanks for your messages by the way

John Duncan

You're welcome. Yes, the ProAc is a proper speaker, the Quad is a Wharfedale Diamond in a bigger, shinier box. This is a generalisation, and therefore false, but not that far from the truth.

I don't undertstand your RS6 comment though.

And yes, that's me.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:You're welcome. Yes, the ProAc is a proper speaker, the Quad is a Wharfedale Diamond in a bigger, shinier box. This is a generalisation, and therefore false, but not that far from the truth. I don't undertstand your RS6 comment though. And yes, that's me.

I may be wrong, I just seem to get the impression from reading hifi mags that just maybe the Monitor Audio RS6 at £600 real wood veneer etc.. are similar to the Quads, in the sense that they are style over substance. What music do you play and listen to btw? Is that an Ibanez guitar?

John Duncan

No it's a Tokai Les Paul replica. Not my main guitar now though......

I don't think the RS6's are necessarily style over substance, I think they are probably pretty good, though I haven't heard an MA in a while system I liked (as opposed to heard an MA I've liked) - I actually suspect they'd suit my Primare kit quite well.

As for playing and listening to - playing is classic rock (Lizzy, Free, Gary Moore, Journey etc), listening tends to be different - more folk and songwriters.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
I'd say go for it. I was really impressed with the non-Signature Reference 8 compared to the Quad's. Don't worry about the bass. I didn't miss any when listening to classical music.

A

Anonymous

Personally I would prefer the Proacs but I've never been a fan of bassy floorstanders. The Proacs are very small and the loss of bass over the Quads may shock you at first, but you could always add a sub later on. Proac speakers tend to be on the brighter side of neutral so I think you should consider your room acoustics, amp and source too. I was going to buy the Proac Ref 8 Tab Sigs but found that they would be too bright for me so I went Spendor instead.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts