Proac studio 118

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
since there is not much out there on the internutz for reviews on these 118's Ill do one. These are incredible firstly they are well rounded the middle and bottom end is amazing so full and velevty. Having the tabbys and the D28's in the past these 118's are the winners and beating the D28's for a more full balanced sound. I always found Proac's to be light especially on the top end with my cyrus kit and even on my 3 piece parasound kit I had they sounded thin to me though I always a Cyrus cd spinner. I cant say enough how full and even handed these are with my Cyrus pieces. They did replace a set of Quad 11L's I was using until they arrived and I thought the quad's went good with the cyrus with a darker flavor than the past these Proacs are absoutely amazing. Crazy to say that I perfer them over the D28's so if your in market and these are in your budget I highly recommend.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Not sure I'll be able to agree there, as the D28, for me personally, was the starting point of of what ProAc speakers were all about - the point where ProAc started getting serious. Although, the new Studio models are much more comparable in sound to the likes of the D28, and can proudly sit alongside such well respected models. ProAc's line up is now much more consistent.

Enjoy!

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks David I will enjoy them I dont know if you heard them yet but a statement that there as good or better than the D28's for overall roundness sounds silly I agree but after a short listen and not even close to being broke in and a $4000 difference it was a easy choice the 118's have it. To be fair I have been out of the hi fi game for a few years but from my other two proac models compared to these 118's are much more balanced and smooth, just me. Id like to here what you think if you have heard these I do follow your comments and remember them from 5 years ago and respect what you have to say. I have a 8XPD with psx-r and there transport and it sounds really good so far.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Nice to hear the budget friendly, line is so well liked by this proac fan. I demoed a pair of D18s and D30Rs and thought they were both superb speakers. I like proac speakers.

I'm surprised the OP stuck with proac though if he found his previous proacs to be thin sounding. Why not try another brand?

SteveR750

D18, D20R and D30R are all fine speakers, other than the soft dome getting a bit sibilant. D18 & D20R not the bass heaviest around, but at least it's reasonably controlled, though the port Fr is a bit too high in my room so suffers from a but one notiness around the bottom A (55Hz) on a bass guitar. Bottom E notes are definitely much lower in volume, so it's extension isn't great.

Never heard the studio range so can't comment.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I stuck with Proac simply because of there richness but never thought that the new 118's would have been at this level. I was thinking higher up the line in the Monitor Audio world but for some reason I keep getting drawn back to Proac.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts