Pro Sound vs. Hi End Consumer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've heard some very good pro speakers (not studio monitors), but "cabinet" speakers for live sound or sound reinforcement with recorded music, many of which have built-in power. My question is, if these pro speakers sound good (which to me many do) and are dynamic enough for a live performance (which is what consumer audio aspires to), and have wide dispersion patterns, then what separates pro cabinet speakers form hi end consumer speakers. These pros speakers are typically much, MUCH less expensive then hi end consumer speakers and when you factory in the built-in power, they seem to be a bargain.

It seems to me that the point of hi end consumer sound is to replicate live sound, then why not use live sound speakers with a hi end consumer pre amp and front end. If someone could please educate me as to the difference and why/what hi end consumer speaker’s offer over pro cabinet speakers, I'd appreciate it!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If your listening room is as large as a typical live venue (and you have no neighbours) then why not?

Some of the best quality (and content!) sound I have ever heard was a John Martyn live gig around 30 years ago in a local hotel's conference hall. (All professional Bose gear with mixing desk and sound assistant etc.)

A

Anonymous

There are some small/moderate size pro cabinets that can sound good, even at lower volumes. It's not just size of room and volume is it?

A

Anonymous

have a listen to a pair of Celestion Ditton 66 speakers connected to a powerful amp such as a 250 watt+ krell ... with the volume cranked up ...

A

Anonymous

Here's one reason.

Frequency response, especially bass.

Most of these cabs won't hit 60Hz, let alone the octave lower that most recordings demand. Ignore the specified frequency response - they mark it as somewhere like 10dB down on the rest of the response.

I've listened to some old McKenzie speakers, with 12" woofers and nearly 100dB efficiency. They're brilliant with rock (iron maiden, ACDC, etc), but rubbish with most other stuff. Bass goes to 90Hz.

If you want to venture into using PA speakers, go for it. They have many benefits over most HiFi stuff, such as efficiency, startlingly good sound (9 times out of 10, you'll be hearing them when they're pushed too far, by someone who thinks more bass is always better, so you won't hear their potential). But those small active cabs aren't the best way in.

Look at buying some drive units, do some research on open baffle speakers, and get building. Most people I know of power theirs with a small amp, which goes to near party levels happily, because of the amazing efficiency.

Be warned, though - open baffle speakers will need a subwoofer, or at least one 15" woofer per side. Using a traditional ported box will be huge, as these drivers are often stuffed into too-small boxes, and damn the consequences.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts