Pro-ject Debut Carbon hum when record plays

coyoteblue56

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Project Debut Carbon and find that there's a hum when records play. I can only hear it between songs. When I take the stylus off the record the hum stops. I checked for connections on the cartridge, and all other connections from turntable to amp. It sort of sounds like 60hz hum, but then why only when a record's being played. There's no hum other than when a record's played. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to get rid of this hum.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
I have had hum issues with my Pro-Ject deck too. Mine hums all the time ! But when playing a record it becomes harder to hear so I live with it. Sorry I dont have a solution. Ive tried everything.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've never had an problem with this on my Debut III, so I think it must be an earthing issue.

Have you tried either connecting, or dis-connecting the earth wire, or connecting in a different way?

Sorry to state the obvious, but it's either that, or a fault with your turntables.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Earthing a turntable can be difficult, particularly if you do not know what you are doing.

Turntable earthing requires that each part of the player is connected to ground once and once only, the turntable, specifically the motor is earthed via the mains connection and is normally not an issue. The arm is usually earthed via a separate earth lead, though on some players it is connected to the screen on one of the channels of the phono lead. The cartridge is then earthier via the screens of the phono leads.

Problems can arise when parts of the player are inadvertently earthed twice, ie a metal bodied cartridge may be earthed by it's physical connection to the arm and by connection via the screened cable to the amplifier, sometimes this is obvious, as when an external link can be seen connecting the metal of the cartridge body to one of the pins on the cartridge. Sometimes these links are internal or accidental and you can't see them, more difficult.

Other issues may arise from the design of the amplifier, in many modern designs the electronics are isolated from the chassis and 'floats', in others the electronics are earthed to the chassis of the amplifier and then to the mains. It might be possible to have the arm connected to the chassis ground but the ground on the cartridge connected to the 'floating' electronics,hence hum.

The issue needs to be tackled in a methodical manner by someone who knows what they are doing, often the manufacturer/distributer will not have te range of experience to be able to help, this is one for a competent dealer if you are lucky enough to know one.

coyoteblue56

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I loosened the screws on the motor mount and fiddled a bit and did reduce the hum. Odd that now there's nothing in one speaker and a slight hum in the other. I'll play around some more and see if I can minimize entirely. At one point I held my screwdriver to one of the screws and the hum disappeared entirely. Then it came back so that touching the screw made no difference.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

davedotco said:
Earthing a turntable can be difficult, particularly if you do not know what you are doing.

Turntable earthing requires that each part of the player is connected to ground once and once only, the turntable, specifically the motor is earthed via the mains connection and is normally not an issue. The arm is usually earthed via a separate earth lead, though on some players it is connected to the screen on one of the channels of the phono lead. The cartridge is then earthier via the screens of the phono leads.

Problems can arise when parts of the player are inadvertently earthed twice, ie a metal bodied cartridge may be earthed by it's physical connection to the arm and by connection via the screened cable to the amplifier, sometimes this is obvious, as when an external link can be seen connecting the metal of the cartridge body to one of the pins on the cartridge. Sometimes these links are internal or accidental and you can't see them, more difficult.

Other issues may arise from the design of the amplifier, in many modern designs the electronics are isolated from the chassis and 'floats', in others the electronics are earthed to the chassis of the amplifier and then to the mains. It might be possible to have the arm connected to the chassis ground but the ground on the cartridge connected to the 'floating' electronics,hence hum.

The issue needs to be tackled in a methodical manner by someone who knows what they are doing, often the manufacturer/distributer will not have te range of experience to be able to help, this is one for a competent dealer if you are lucky enough to know one.

Now that's what I meant to say.
grin.gif

TrevC

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
davedotco said:

grin.gif

If it only occurs when the stylus hits the record it can't be an earthing issue.

TrevC

if it only occurs with the record actually playing position the arm on the record with the record stopped. If there's no hum it's motor vibration transmitted through the turntable. Take it back and complain.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
davedotco said:

grin.gif

If it only occurs when the stylus hits the record it can't be an earthing issue.

Not entirely true, getting the cartridge close to the motor, when playing a record for example, may induce hum in an incorrectly earthed cartridge.

However if the noise is only present when actually playing a record and dissapears when the motor is switched off and the stylus placed on a stationary record then it is almost certainly motor noise.

However in a later post the OP found that the noise was only in one channel in which case he needs to read my earlier post more carefully.

Secondly, if the hum dissapears when touching a part of the player with a screwdriver, then the next thing to try is to run an earth lead to that point from a known ground.

TrevC

davedotco said:
TrevC said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
davedotco said:

grin.gif

Not entirely true, getting the cartridge close to the motor, when playing a record for example, may induce hum in an incorrectly earthed cartridge.

Which is why i said "hits the record" :roll:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
davedotco said:
TrevC said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
davedotco said:

grin.gif

Please explain, you are not being clear.

Read my post again, the one that you selectively quote from, and then explain what I have said that is wrong.

TrevC

davedotco said:
TrevC said:
davedotco said:
TrevC said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
davedotco said:

grin.gif

Read my post again, the one that you selectively quote from, and then explain what I have said that is wrong.

I was perfectly clear. An earth hum would be present whether the record is playing or not.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
davedotco said:
TrevC said:
davedotco said:
TrevC said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
davedotco said:

grin.gif

I was perfectly clear. An earth hum would be present whether the record is playing or not.

Thank you for the clarification, as I thought you are wrong.

To play a record the cartridge needs to traverse the record in the normal manner. It is entirely possible that a cartridge that is poorly grounded could pick up an induced hum as it traverses the record and gets closer to the motor, the hum varies with the position of the cartridge, I have seen this happen.

What I was trying to explain to the OP was that this can be checked by moving the arm and cartridge across the record but not in contact with the record but with the motor running. If the hum is induced then it will occur whether the stylus is touching the record or not.

With the arm at rest, the cartridge is a good distance from the motor so there is no hum, as it traverses the record it gets closer to the motor and starts to hum, not common but should be checked out.

GAJ

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I found the fix for myself and many others on the AVS Forum.

This site won't let me copy and past from the 2 Channel Audio section of that forum so in a nutshell.

Remove the 2 motor mount screws, install 2 small neoprene washers from home depot and a small metal washer on each side and replace the 2 motor mount screws tightening down medium tight, not full tight

I also had bad RCA cables with my Project Carbon; they were so loose they caused hum and would actually slip off the RCA jacks if you so much as moved the turntable. Replaced with some old RCA cables I had laying around that fit tightly.

Hum problems completely eliminated.

Good luck.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
GAJ said:
I found the fix for myself and many others on the AVS Forum.

This site won't let me copy and past from the 2 Channel Audio section of that forum so in a nutshell.

Remove the 2 motor mount screws, install 2 small neoprene washers from home depot and a small metal washer on each side and replace the 2 motor mount screws tightening down medium tight, not full tight

I also had bad RCA cables with my Project Carbon; they were so loose they caused hum and would actually slip off the RCA jacks if you so much as moved the turntable. Replaced with some old RCA cables I had laying around that fit tightly.

Hum problems completely eliminated.

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity did you try just replacing the RCA cables before the motor screws?

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I received my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC yesterday and noticed the loud hum, even when switched off. In other words, the hum was constant (therefore, not the issue of when the stylus hits the record that some others have been experiencing -- so I can't really comment on that). Anyway, with my particular issue of constant humming, I was drawn to taking the first logical step of just checking the grounding cable between the turntable and my pre-amp. Nope: it was locked securely on either terminals, so that was apparently ok. However, I noticed right away that the hum increased/decreased as I moved the RCA cables. I removed the RCA cables (the same cables that came supplied with the turntable) and replaced them with cheap Radioshack RCA cables (temporarily) I had lying around. The hum has completely disappeared. In other words: those RCA cables that come with the turntable are trash and Pro-Ject should really, really stop shipping these turntables with them.

TrevC

The hum that only occurs when the stylus hits the record can only be motor vibration noise, not interconnects or anything else, so the booby prize goes to all those that have suggested the latter.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I suffered a while with the same problem, Project debut carbon was humming every time the stylus touched the record. A lot of unwanted bass, was ruining the sound. My probelm was solved (well kind of) when I disconnected the Airport Express which was connect to my amp by a RCA Y cable. Not actually sure whether AE or the cable was the cultprit. Out of streaming solution at the moment though.

TrevC

FahadAhmed said:
I suffered a while with the same problem, Project debut carbon was humming every time the stylus touched the record. A lot of unwanted bass, was ruining the sound. My probelm was solved (well kind of) when I disconnected the Airport Express which was connect to my amp by a RCA Y cable.

Kind of as in not at all. Disconnecting something can't have affected mechanically coupled motor noise.

matthewpiano

This is my one issue with the so-called 'audiophile' belt drive turntables by Pro-ject and Rega. Pro-ject's hum issue on Debuts has been long-standing and continually connected to mechanical vibration from the motor unit. Both brands also have less than ideal speed consistency on many models. In Rega's case this is only resolved on the RP3 by adding the TT PSU which properly locks the speed for real stability.

TRENDING THREADS