Primare Prisma series

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
So I have been looking at the new Hegel H90 for some time now but then I stumbled upon the new Primare Prisma i15 which seems a very similar unit with Chromecast/Spotify connect as a nice bonus. The Hegel and Primare cost the same in my country. How would you guys rate the Primare against the Hegel? The Primare dealer is a pretty long drive.

Nelis87 said:
So I have been looking at the new Hegel H90 for some time now but then I stumbled upon the new Primare Prisma i15 which seems a very similar unit with Chromecast/Spotify connect as a nice bonus. The Hegel and Primare cost the same in my country. How would you guys rate the Primare against the Hegel? The Primare dealer is a pretty long drive.

Hi Neils87

Where are you based please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

They both cost £1500 here, so I can see your dilemma. It’s quite a long way for a listen, but I’ve been known to travel for such things, and you do have to live with the decision for quite a while - unless you can afford to change often!

Is there any chance to trial them at home with your speakers, because if not you may as well choose on spec?

insider9 said:
Amp, streamer, dac... Am I the only one who thinks this is rather low and doesn't bide well for build quality.

I'm a big Primare fan but that's seriously light.
It depends if toroidals are used or not. They tend to add a fair bit of weight to an item, along with the extra gubbins to keep it secured for when it’s in the hands of couriers.

Nelis87 said:
For now sonus faber principia, maybe some higher end dali's or dynaudio's later
I haven’t heard those SFs, but I’d boil it down to whether you like a more prominent midrange or a smoother one - the best way I can think of putting it is like comparing a B&W speaker to a KEF Reference equivalent. That’s just a difference in tonal balance/presentation, but for everything else you’d need to have a listen for yourself to decide. I can’t see you being disappointed with either.

Further down the line, Hegel and Amphion go together really well, so worth checkpoint those out too.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Amp, streamer, dac... Am I the only one who thinks this is rather low and doesn't bide well for build quality.

Isn't that typical in class D amps?

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:

I agree with you on this but it seems a lot of similar class D amp/dac/streamers are on the light side, for example the NAD c338/368 and Auralic streaming amp (4,5kg). I also like my amp on the heavy side but I will trust Primare on this one.

Ofcourse I am willing to make the drive, its not a huge deal but I thought if all opinions are in favour of the Hegel I can get this one out of my head. I'm not gonna buy anything yet until next year, so lets see if any more info shows up on the web in the meantime.

insider9 said:
Pedro said:
insider9 said:

Its more to do with what type of power supply is utilised. Anything with a nice big toroidal amplifier is going to weight a bit..

Isn't that typical in class D amps?
Not quite I remember my I22 was nearly twice that weight.

Nelis87 said:
insider9 said:

I agree with you on this but it seems a lot of similar class D amp/dac/streamers are on the light side, for example the NAD c338/368 and Auralic streaming amp (4,5kg). I also like my amp on the heavy side but I will trust Primare on this one.

Ofcourse I am willing to make the drive, its not a huge deal but I thought if all opinions are in favour of the Hegel I can get this one out of my head. I'm not gonna buy anything yet until next year, so lets see if any more info shows up on the web in the meantime.

I'd imagine the differences will not be huge, but I have only just heard the Hegel. My advice would to be audition the Hegel. If it ticks all the boxes then buy it and forget about that long journey.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts